Ice shack/hunting blind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Griffy76

Reaction score
Here in Manitoba winters can get quite cold so the Kart build has been put on hold till spring now. With hunting season and Ice fishing season other projects have taken priority.

Which leads me into this build. My brother in-law and I are building a family Ice shack that can be used as a Hunting blind during Deer season here in Manitoba.

We have recycled an old pop-up tent trailer from the farm stripped it down to the frame. From here we are going to extend the existing frame from 6.5ft x 7ft to 6.5ft x 13ft.

Griffy76

Reaction score
Here are a few pictures of the so far progress.

Attachments

• Floor plans.jpg
    Floor plans.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Top ripped off.jpg
    Top ripped off.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Gutting.jpg
    Gutting.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Demo continued.jpg
    Demo continued.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 3
  • removing useless weight.jpg
    removing useless weight.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 9

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
So how will it work? Will the trailer be turned into the shack? Will it still be on wheels.

Excuse me if I am a bit ignorant, but we just don't do these types of sports here in South Africa

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
So how will it work? Will the trailer be turned into the shack? Will it still be on wheels.

Excuse me if I am a bit ignorant, but we just don't do these types of sports here in South Africa

From a functional perspective, picture a camper trailer (called a caravan in some parts of the world), tailored to specific needs.

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
From a functional perspective, picture a camper trailer (called a caravan in some parts of the world), tailored to specific needs.

But wouldn't an ice shack have to sit flush on the ice, or can there be space between the ice and the shack floor?

Edit: I googled some pics of ice shacks, and I see some are indeed sitting above the ice :htumbsup:

Griffy76

Reaction score
Our plan for the the ice shack is that we are going to have corner jacks on all 4 corners. Once on the ice jack it up and remove 2 pins from each side of the leaf springs remove entire axle. Then lower jacks down on to blocks to keep shack from freezing to ice. The total distance off the ice will probably be 4-6inches.

Griffy76

Reaction score
here are some more pictures. Hope to get to work on it some more next week. My brother works shift work so have to wait for his days off. Gives me more time for hunting though:thumbsup:

Attachments

• Finished the extension and peak.jpg
    Finished the extension and peak.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 4
  • finishing up the tack welds.jpg
    finishing up the tack welds.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 6
  • progress for the day.jpg
    progress for the day.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Weilding on the peak.jpg
    Weilding on the peak.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 4

Griffy76

Reaction score
Finally got the chance to do some more work on the shack/blind we finished welding the frame. We installed the flooring and have the bottom plates for the walls in place. Will post pics soon. Hope we can get the walls up and in place over this next week.

Griffy76

Reaction score
I look forward to seeing the pictures. Will you have it ready in time for some ice fishing?

Yeah we still have a good month before the lake is ready for the shack probably get it out there first week of december I would think. The hardest part is done with the frame only because we wanted to make sure our welds were done well before we started framing.

Status
Not open for further replies.