How to retrieve lost posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sideways

Unfinished projects king.
Reaction score
Seeing as the forum crashed I thought I would post this. Using this technique you can view posts made in the time that we "lost" but you can't quote or (if the thread was made December of later) comment at all.

First off, enter.. site:diygokarts.com ..into Google, this will make Google only give results for this site.

Then enter after that some words that you think might lead you to this lost thread or post. In this case, I entered.... rallikas sidewinder build. Obviously looking for rallikas' sidewinder build, you don't have to put the username there, I just did to narrow down the results.

Here you can see the Google results. See where it says "cached" (which I have circled in red), click on that and it will open the page. In this case it opened to this. Now, you cannot simply click on the link to page 2, that will be an invalid link. You have to search Google for it and click on the "cached" link, that's what I did and I found page 2 here.

If the thread you are looking for doesn't have the "cached" link then you wont be able to view it, you should try one of those "archive the whole internet" sites, they might not have it either though. If the post you are looking for was made in the last week it probably wont be "cached" but you might be lucky.

Hayden

Bluethunder3320

Reaction score
the first time i looked this message was totally blank. will everything be back after the had drive is fixed automatically

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
man you did lose a lot of posts sideways, didn't ya? **** I'm sorry this happened, and not real happy with my hosting company right now...

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
man you did lose a lot of posts sideways, didn't ya? **** I'm sorry this happened, and not real happy with my hosting company right now...

Bluethunder3320

Reaction score
it had a reply box but your post wasnt there at all.

so will everything ever be back again? or will it be lost forever? (other than googling)

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Reaction score
Hi,
i tried this method, and typed in "site:diygokarts.com r_chez_08 minibike 6" into google to get to my minibike thread page 6. i then glicked on the link but it only came up with page 5? any idea why?

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Reaction score
Hi,
i tried this method, and typed in "site:diygokarts.com r_chez_08 minibike 6" into google to get to my minibike thread page 6. i then glicked on the link but it only came up with page 5? any idea why?
Thanks
Rob
Edit: oops i just read your thing about the catched thing... :mad2:
Edit2: http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://diygokarts.com looks like these people dont have any recent records.
Edit3: found my page, clicked on the "Cached" button LOL!

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Interesting techinque, Sideways, I'll have to check it out, thanks.

The multi-posts ARE bloody strange, aren't they? Is this a Twilight Zone episode? Anybody seen Rod Serling?

Man, I lost a SHIPLOAD of posts and about 20 thanks! Didn't realize I babbled that much lately LOL!!!

sideways

Reaction score

Just a few haha, I think I had 1091 posts and 92 thanks, when the site came back on I had 890 something posts and 69 thanks! :worried2:

Its nothing to worry though, it's only a number, I think I've found most of the important stuff using the Goggling technique. :thumbsup:

Just curious, who is the hosting company? The host for the other forum that I'm on was GoDaddy, they manage to crash everything and the forum lost 4 years of posts! Only one page of my stuff was cached too. :(

Thanks

Hayden

sideways

Reaction score
A few more things to add guys, here's how to remove the highlighting if you want too.

This is the cached link to my go kart thread.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:iycLYDhrC_sJ:www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php%3Fp%3D129336+sideways+page+2+%22scrap+kart+build!%22+site:diygokarts.com&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au

Now the bit you want to remove is the red wording.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?p=129336+sideways+page+2+%22scrap+kart+build!%22+site:diygokarts.com&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au

And that leaves you with...

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:iycLYDhrC_sJ:www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php%3Fp%3D129336%22+site:diygokarts.com&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au

Done, easy!

One more thing, how to save a link to the cached post, on most browsers you just right click and click save as. (As can be seen in the attached picture)

On some computers it just saves a link, on others it saves the whole page, no idea why, must be in the settings somewhere.

Thanks

Hayden

Edit: turns out the site shortens links, so you can't really see what I did, you get the basic idea though.

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just curious, who is the hosting company? The host for the other forum that I'm on was GoDaddy, they manage to crash everything and the forum lost 4 years of posts! Only one page of my stuff was cached too. :(

I would never, ever, use godaddy. they are shady in their practices and expensive for what they offer (which is often crap).

I host through I small private company here in Austin with servers colocated at Onramp. I'd used Westhost for a long time and liked them too.

Cam

Nz Petrolhead
Reaction score
Ironically my bloody computer crashed yesterday as well, so i can't just start new threads until ive fixed that!

Thanks for getting it up and running robert, we havn't lost it all and we can recover.

sideways

Reaction score
I would never, ever, use godaddy. they are shady in their practices and expensive for what they offer (which is often crap).

Yeah, so we figured! When we complained they basically said "stuff you" and dropped us so we had no host for a few weeks. Luckily, another forum let us camp on their site for a while.

What happened is GoDaddy acidentally deleted our main and back up server data. Luckily we still had all the data from the old severs from 2006!

Try this sideways, it has the first page of your scrap kart build - http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/archive/index.php/t-9614.html

if you can't get it i saved it to a wordpad doc.

Not to make you feel a little bit silly but all that is before December, all those posts are still on the forum. ;)

The archives is basically a low data version of the forum, as far as I can tell it's updated at the same rate as the forum. I go on it sometimes when my internet goes to 56k and it wont load the normal forum properly.

I found all the rest of it in the Google cached stuff, minus a few irrelevant posts. All the diesel bike stuff is there, the motorbike gearbox is too. I'l update the thread with links to the cached sites later.

Thanks

Hayden

Status
Not open for further replies.