How to replace rear wheels on a stepped rear axle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TylerFrankel

Reaction score
Well you can eliminate most of that with a Honda iGX340. It literally is one step off of EFI.

Wow! Sweet engine! Price is a little much for me personally, but nice concept. I wonder if any company will ever make the feature I've wanted to see most.... an exhaust system that actually dampens the sound a bit... it cracks me up that these engines are so much louder than their automotive counterparts that crank out 40 times more power. Yes, good exhaust is expensive, but it seems like a system for 1/40 the power would be easy

Tpdingo

Reaction score
Its not the exhaust. That actually is prwtty quiet. The other major source of noise is the other mechanical parts moving inside. Because of the fins in tje block from it being air cooled, it amplifies the sound. Because car engines dont have these, they arent loud. Note that old VW bugs are pretty loud, same reason. Also in a go kart there is no sheetmetal to dampen sound.

TylerFrankel

Reaction score
Its not the exhaust. That actually is prwtty quiet. The other major source of noise is the other mechanical parts moving inside. Because of the fins in tje block from it being air cooled, it amplifies the sound. Because car engines dont have these, they arent loud. Note that old VW bugs are pretty loud, same reason. Also in a go kart there is no sheetmetal to dampen sound.

Interesting... I didn't know that. Thought it was an absence of resonators. Although that makes sense, because I have noticed when I put the engine on cloths and hold it down its much quieter.

My engine has a pretty good header, and it sounds great, but I'm not sure how good the engine is because of the scoring :huh: I may remove the sump and check rings if I stay concerned... now I just need to find myself a set of wheels that won't kill me.

Tpdingo

Reaction score
Interesting... I didn't know that. Thought it was an absence of resonators. Although that makes sense, because I have noticed when I put the engine on cloths and hold it down its much quieter.

My engine has a pretty good header, and it sounds great, but I'm not sure how good the engine is because of the scoring :huh: I may remove the sump and check rings if I stay concerned... now I just need to find myself a set of wheels that won't kill me.

Borrow a compression tester(usually autozone will let you rent for free), and if the compression is over 90-100psi, I wouldn't even blink twice about it. Make sure that you get the motor spinning good with a drill because at low RPMs the cam pushes the exhaust open.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Borrow a compression tester(usually autozone will let you rent for free), and if the compression is over 90-100psi, I wouldn't even blink twice about it. Make sure that you get the motor spinning good with a drill because at low RPMs the cam pushes the exhaust open.
You pay to rent the equipment and then they give you the money back when you return it.

Tpdingo

Reaction score
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...DXPvkAu06CB-if42Gxb5akbIV9I-4aPIaAtjLEALw_wcB

Great price because it can be used for your own vehicle. Most small gas engines should be around 90 to 120psi.

For 71$ you could spend an extra 30 and get a brand new engine and completely remove the need for the gauge in the first place.

https://www.harborfreight.com/compression-test-kit-8-pc-62638.html

This makes much more economic sense...and I highly doubt a small engine is going to overload a cheap meter.

TylerFrankel

Reaction score
For 71$ you could spend an extra 30 and get a brand new engine and completely remove the need for the gauge in the first place.

https://www.harborfreight.com/compression-test-kit-8-pc-62638.html

This makes much more economic sense...and I highly doubt a small engine is going to overload a cheap meter.

Good idea! I probably will either borrow or buy a cheap one, because I do have other engines I'd like to test as well and it would be a nice tool to have. I don't know exactly how much compression she has, but I don't think it's terribly low. When I tested it (with a flat tire and no brakes :smiley_omg:) it felt pretty powerful and even lifted enough weight off the front wheels under acceleration that I couldn't steer well. and that's with a flat tire, mind you. I think it should be fine but I'll check it out, and make sure the compression stays constant over time for peace of mind.

As far as my wheels go, I saw a video yesterday by cars and cameras where they did a live rear axle swap on a car and ran into a similar "situation". They thought nothing of it and just let the wheel stick out a little.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlaBEzfhEB0&t=242s at 14:38

My situation is a bit worse because I have less threads than they did so my bolt can't go back as far, so I think I'll just use a bunch of spacers :roflol: and see what happens with the new wheels. Worst case scenario (assuming I don't crash) I find out it doesn't work well and get a new axle, so the tires won't go to waste or anything.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Good idea! I probably will either borrow or buy a cheap one, because I do have other engines I'd like to test as well and it would be a nice tool to have. I don't know exactly how much compression she has, but I don't think it's terribly low. When I tested it (with a flat tire and no brakes :smiley_omg:) it felt pretty powerful and even lifted enough weight off the front wheels under acceleration that I couldn't steer well. and that's with a flat tire, mind you. I think it should be fine but I'll check it out, and make sure the compression stays constant over time for peace of mind.

As far as my wheels go, I saw a video yesterday by cars and cameras where they did a live rear axle swap on a car and ran into a similar "situation". They thought nothing of it and just let the wheel stick out a little.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlaBEzfhEB0&t=242s at 14:38

My situation is a bit worse because I have less threads than they did so my bolt can't go back as far, so I think I'll just use a bunch of spacers :roflol: and see what happens with the new wheels. Worst case scenario (assuming I don't crash) I find out it doesn't work well and get a new axle, so the tires won't go to waste or anything.
Most of the cheap ones I've seen only go to 100psi. Most vehicle engines are 135psi and up. Which is why I suggested that one from Summit.

Tpdingo

Reaction score
Most of the cheap ones I've seen only go to 100psi. Most vehicle engines are 135psi and up. Which is why I suggested that one from Summit.

It's a supposed 300psi gauge. I doubt it can go that high, but it definitely goes higher than 100psi, especially because Ive used one on a bunch of small engines.

jeffmorris1956

Reaction score
What size socket fit nut on stepped rear axle? I thought that the mobility scooter has stepped rear axle but I used 3/4" socket on nut. I couldn't take the nuts off the axle. There may be rust on axle and nuts.

TylerFrankel

Reaction score
What size socket fit nut on stepped rear axle? I thought that the mobility scooter has stepped rear axle but I used 3/4" socket on nut. I couldn't take the nuts off the axle. There may be rust on axle and nuts.

I ended up needing a 28mm socket, although it probably wasn't metric and I just made it work. I honestly am kinda lost right now, because my old nuts are so rusty I want to replace them, but don't know how to measure for replacements or where to find new ones.

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 PM ----------

It's a supposed 300psi gauge. I doubt it can go that high, but it definitely goes higher than 100psi, especially because Ive used one on a bunch of small engines.

Interesting... I wonder what engine could even get past 200 anyway. That's reallly high :smiley_omg:

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------

I'll keep that in mind... thanks!

TylerFrankel

Reaction score
I think I'm going to order the new wheels as soon as I can figure out what bolts to buy to fit on the axle... I feel like this should work out alright! I'll update everyone...

In the mean time, check out what I managed with that poor seized engine:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zrRsR82EWx_MzXMp_0hG_sPYlR1FQOTT
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tws8FkKOTb5pL9KGwICvkNgzrqrYlxT4

It started up! With A MISSING PISTON RING!
And it runs steady! Cuts thick grass!
I only ran it briefly for fear that my missing ring could damage it more...
The engine is smoking so badly probably because of the missing ring, and also because to compensate for the missing ring I dumped way too much oil in there to be safe (safer anyway).
How'd i fix it, you might ask? I sanded the piston with fine grit paper, as well as the bore, until there weren't any parts sticking "out" from a surface that would cause gouging and friction. There's a couple deep scores, but they aren't damaging the piston as far as I know. I'll disassemble after I run it a few more times to see what's up. Compression seems high enough, and it isn't knocking! I think there's hope

Only concern is that I know these engines are supposed to be coated with something inside, which was probably destroyed when it seized and not helped by my sanding (only sanded parts with damage, couldn't have hurt much I suppose). So the longevity is in question...

---------- Post added at 10:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 PM ----------

Oh a diesel will surpass 300 without any issues. Most gasoline engines likely won't get past 250.

Wow! I forgot how much more compression diesels could get because of injectors. I've always kinda wondered why diesel isn't more popular, because it's more efficient and energy dense. Probably more expensive and requires heavier duty engines I guess.

Tpdingo

Reaction score
I think I'm going to order the new wheels as soon as I can figure out what bolts to buy to fit on the axle... I feel like this should work out alright! I'll update everyone...

In the mean time, check out what I managed with that poor seized engine:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zrRsR82EWx_MzXMp_0hG_sPYlR1FQOTT
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tws8FkKOTb5pL9KGwICvkNgzrqrYlxT4

It started up! With A MISSING PISTON RING!
And it runs steady! Cuts thick grass!
I only ran it briefly for fear that my missing ring could damage it more...
The engine is smoking so badly probably because of the missing ring, and also because to compensate for the missing ring I dumped way too much oil in there to be safe (safer anyway).
How'd i fix it, you might ask? I sanded the piston with fine grit paper, as well as the bore, until there weren't any parts sticking "out" from a surface that would cause gouging and friction. There's a couple deep scores, but they aren't damaging the piston as far as I know. I'll disassemble after I run it a few more times to see what's up. Compression seems high enough, and it isn't knocking! I think there's hope

Only concern is that I know these engines are supposed to be coated with something inside, which was probably destroyed when it seized and not helped by my sanding (only sanded parts with damage, couldn't have hurt much I suppose). So the longevity is in question...

---------- Post added at 10:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 PM ----------

Wow! I forgot how much more compression diesels could get because of injectors. I've always kinda wondered why diesel isn't more popular, because it's more efficient and energy dense. Probably more expensive and requires heavier duty engines I guess.

Well if it's the last ring on the Piston, that's the oil control ring. Doesn't provide much compression, but makes sure it doesn't smoke.

And the diesel engine doesn't really make more compression because of the injector, but because the Piston comes up higher towards the head and needs it because the injector can't ignite the fuel, rather the heat from compression.

And for why it's not more popular...well ifs simple, the fuel costs more, and you get less power. In Europe where diesel is more economical and small roads and cars don't need the power, it is way more popular over there. Also the VW diesel scandal didn't help diesel sales at all.

TylerFrankel

Reaction score
Well if it's the last ring on the Piston, that's the oil control ring. Doesn't provide much compression, but makes sure it doesn't smoke.

And the diesel engine doesn't really make more compression because of the injector, but because the Piston comes up higher towards the head and needs it because the injector can't ignite the fuel, rather the heat from compression.

And for why it's not more popular...well ifs simple, the fuel costs more, and you get less power. In Europe where diesel is more economical and small roads and cars don't need the power, it is way more popular over there. Also the VW diesel scandal didn't help diesel sales at all.

Interesting. It's actually the middle ring that's missing... I have no idea what it does honestly. I know the bottom is oil control and the top is compression...

Tpdingo

Reaction score
Interesting. It's actually the middle ring that's missing... I have no idea what it does honestly. I know the bottom is oil control and the top is compression...

Its just a secondary compression ring. It helps with compression if the first one fails but one will still do a decent job with compression.

TylerFrankel

Reaction score
Its just a secondary compression ring. It helps with compression if the first one fails but one will still do a decent job with compression.

Cool! I wonder why its made of a different metal thats more brittle than the primary compression ring (that's why I broke it I thought they were the same, I have little experience with rings specifically...) Although I think the heat of it seizing contributed to making it brittle. I'll order new rings if the engine seems like it'll hold up for enough time for it to be worth 15 dollars repairs. It doesn't knock or anything... seems to be enough compression. Only reason it wouldn't be worth it is if the sanded down walls deteriorate due to lack of coating. I'll just run it for a while and see what happens to the walls, if they get much worse. Somehow I doubt it will be bad for a mower that likely gets used for 30 minutes every couple weeks.

Tpdingo

Reaction score
Cool! I wonder why its made of a different metal thats more brittle than the primary compression ring (that's why I broke it I thought they were the same, I have little experience with rings specifically...) Although I think the heat of it seizing contributed to making it brittle. I'll order new rings if the engine seems like it'll hold up for enough time for it to be worth 15 dollars repairs. It doesn't knock or anything... seems to be enough compression. Only reason it wouldn't be worth it is if the sanded down walls deteriorate due to lack of coating. I'll just run it for a while and see what happens to the walls, if they get much worse. Somehow I doubt it will be bad for a mower that likely gets used for 30 minutes every couple weeks.

I don't see why it should be a different metal. I did ring swaps in those engines before, they should be the same material. If it was run without oil, it is possible that the second ring took the brunt of the force, and the properties changed as it heated up. If you heat steel very hot and cool it down, it turns brittle.

Status
Not open for further replies.