Holla from California Bay Area!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaDeuX

Reaction score
Hey guys. It's been a long journey with trying to decide whether to sell my daily driver Integra for something that carves corners a lot better ( many of my friends has something that totally shocks me in terms of how many G's it can handle )

In short, I want to be able to compete in track racing. However, I have the severe disadvantage of not being able to store anything in my garage overnight. My parents are out for the whole day, but they come back during nighttime and throw out whatever junk I have inside the garage at that point.

I've looked at Datsun 240Zs, Mazda Miatas, Pontiac Fieros, Locosts, and most recently La Balas. However yesterday I was going through Yahoo! Answers in the sports/driving section, and many of the questions were "How do I start racing?" One of them said that Schumacher ( I probably spelled that wrong ) would practice on a go-kart during his offseason. I have no idea how driving a go-kart would let you improve your driving skills when a race-tuned vehicle and go-kart handle very differently. Still, it's something to consider.

Now I was initially going to make a kitcar in an attempt to make a homemade street legal car, but there is the problem with theft, no roof, and no space to work on it. At least with a go-kart I could fit it through a door. I have a MIG welder, but I need a gas cylinder ( which kind should I get? )

In any case, I think the ultimate question is how to keep a go-kart and get it to the race track when you don't have something to haul it with? My mom has the VW Touareg, but no way in hell will she let me drive it. I believe the only way is to make it street legal, but I already see a lot of complications in that. California, being the strictest state in terms of vehicles, is probably not going to let me drive a go-kart around my neighborhood. Maybe someone will prove me wrong...

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
Welcome fellow Californian! :thumbsup:

I can answer your question about the MIG welding. You can use straight CO2 or a CO2/Argon mix. I just use straight CO2 and have gotten really good results. You can also just use flux core wire with no gas but, the welds will not look as clean.

Hauling around a go kart is an issue for me too. :(
Fortunately, I have friends with trucks and they'll often help me if I ask them. About making it street legal... I don't see that happening here in Cali with so many strict regulations and crap.

RaDeuX

Reaction score
Welcome fellow Californian! :thumbsup:

I can answer your question about the MIG welding. You can use straight CO2 or a CO2/Argon mix. I just use straight CO2 and have gotten really good results. You can also just use flux core wire with no gas but, the welds will not look as clean.

Hauling around a go kart is an issue for me too. :(
Fortunately, I have friends with trucks and they'll often help me if I ask them. About making it street legal... I don't see that happening here in Cali with so many strict regulations and crap.

Yeah, I think the best I could do is cram the go-kart inside the back of my Integra and drive the go-kart elsewhere. I think it's doable so long as the kart doesn't weigh a crazy amount. What are the go-kart frames usually made out of? Steel or aluminum alloy?

Status
Not open for further replies.