Hi, new member from Atlanta , I need to know what I have ... :-)

OffRoadGoKart2024

Reaction score
Hi, new member from Atlanta , I need to know what I have ... :)

Greetings,

Though I have worked on all sorts of vehicles and machines, I have never owed a go-kart or worked on one. Until a few months ago, when I bought the derelict at auction while buying some lawn tractors. All I know about it is that it is blue, appears to have had two steering wheels, so, I assume it is for training. It is fairly heavy and would appear to be used on a track vs. off road.

I was going to sell it, but, I think I might keep it and make it a mild off road vehicle and let my neighbor drive around in it on his property and mine with his 8 year old kids. Plans would be 10 HP diesel powered, maybe a 1" live axle, reverse would be a must, good seats and seat belts, and maybe discs on front and rear. I would want at least 6" off road clearance, probably run at least 18x8.50-8 mud tires in the back. I think it should have a bit more roll protection for kid use, tying the rear hoop to the front of the cage, but, maybe not.

I really have no idea what it is worth, as is, but, to me it is worth $200. I have no idea who made it, how much it is worth, or where to get parts for it. If it is worth something, then I would likely use the OEM for the stuff (such as Manco) to bring it to driving condition.

Anyway, my first go-kart.
Thanks!
:)
go_kart_20231229_171014-small.jpggo_kart_20231229_171023-small.jpg

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
I have no idea! Never seen anything like that. BMI, Go Kart Supply, MFG Supply, Azusa, Go Power Sports and Amazon are some of your bigger names in the GoKart scene for parts. A 10hp diesel would be a great choice just pair it up with a 40 series CVT. You can read about how to properly install one of those at the GoKart Supply web site. They have an excellent tutorial. Start a build thread and we can help you! 22” rear tires would be cheaper and easier to find, and fit better.
Oh, I almost forgot! :welcome2: :welcome2::welcome2:

panchothedog

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Don't worry about trying to find OEM parts. Most stuff you will find is generic and can be made to fit. Tall tires are the easiest way to get ground clearance. A roll cage is a very GOOD idea, especially with kids and off road use. No offense, but I hope you didn't pay $200 for that blue frame. Not complete enough. Too many missing parts.

OffRoadGoKart2024

Reaction score
> No offense, but I hope you didn't pay $200

The only way to offend me would be running me over with a 2 or 4 wheels contraption 🙃

> but, to me it is worth $200.

I think this is at least 11 gauge or 1/8" wall tubing. I do not think I could even buy the metal new for under $300, never mind the labor needed to do such nice bends. It looks like each piece of tubing was mandrel bend from the right to the front and back to the left as one piece of stick and then welded to the uprights. I just paid $23 for one 1# roll of .30 flux from Northern Tools. So, for me, to get a 300# plus frame all ready welded up and ready for slight modding would be well worth $200. I just happened to pay $11.98 :cool:

I paid $11.98 counting fees and taxes. BUT, because it was over 100 miles away, I have to split the total auction related costs (rental trailer - rental U-Haul. gas) evenly between all items so, it ended up costing me $52.10.

Basically, I went up there for three riding lawn mowers I bought for parts, because I wanted the axles for a 6x6 project. But, no sense driving 100 miles and not coming back with a full load of stuff. Basically the trip ends up being an 8 hour day. I had so much stuff, I had to leave a rusty JOBOX behind because I had no more room for it in the 6x12 trailer or 16 foot box truck.

I have never have seen a go-kart with two steering columns, so, I figured it was worth a shot even if I repurposed the frame into bumpers for off road lawn mowers. Because it is so heavy and rust free, probably well over 300 pounds, I am going to invest the time and effort making it a nice and safe two person driver. My neighbor legally adopted an 8 year old boy (father in jail - abusive mother) and already had an 8 year old daughter, so, I thought this would make a good family project and once they out grew my backyard course and his property, I could tow it for him to an off road park about 15 miles away.

This seems much safer and bonding then the riding LTs and a good way to teach the kids how to drive.

panchothedog

Reaction score
I must admit it is pretty unique, and looks very robust as well. Sounds like you have plenty of knowledge and experience to finish it properly. Bless you for what you are doing for your neighbor. What a nice gesture. That is an great way to teach the young ones how to drive. I have 5 Grand kid's. All of them in a kart at a very young age. The three oldest now have their drivers license and seem to be very accomplished drivers for their age. I feel quite certain that mastering a go kart at such a young age gave them a real leg up when it came time to control a full sized automobile.