Hi, from Arizona

Forrest73

Reaction score
Hi everybody. I'm retired and starting a new hobby building a couple of go karts, one for me and one for my wife. To us it sounds like this can be allot of fun. I just want to say here that it's great to meet a bunch of guys on here with your kind of knowledge that I can ask questions and maybe share a few things as I go along on my builds.

A little about me: Well I'm not old, but when I fart, I fart dust.
In high school I was in a rock n' roll band as a drummer and a bass player. Spent allot of time drag racing my '67 Mustang on Pima Road and at Beeline Dragway.
I worked as a sheet metal man, heavy equipment mechanic, welder and machinist most of my life on pipelines, mines, and construction jobs. As with many of us, my old bones started feeling it.
I used my years of experience to get into engineering. I started my engineering in the open pit copper mines and coal mines as a welding engineer and eventually took a different direction as an aerospace engineer and quality control engineer.

I took after my Dad, I've always loved to race and go fast since I was a small boy. So my Dad started me in 1/4 Midgets. Through the years I went up to USAC Midgets on the dirt and pavement. Raced Stock Cars at PIR Phoenix International Raceway and Manzanita Speedway in my teens.

I can't get away from it, nor do I want to get away from it. It's kind of in my blood by now. I build T Bucket roadster chassis' and suspension systems in my shop. Well that's enough personal history.

I'm just enjoying my retirement with my bride who has stayed for 40+ years, our great grandkids and grandkids. This is kind of funny, We built our great granddaughter a fun little go kart. My wife does some nice hotrod upholstering and airbrush trim. So she has it nice and comfy for the baby. The baby's mom had to adjust to the little go kart haha, but her dad (our grandson) jumped right into it with total enthusiasm. I think he wants one now. Hehe. Yeah he wants to beef his little girls go kart up and what young man wouldn't? Hey, what OLD man wouldn't?
So for Christmas, I'm working on a Predator 212 head, some nice rockers, I ordered a better carb. I made an aluminum intake manifold and made a better exhaust with a split system where one side has adjustable backpressure that can be adjusted to work with the operating rpm's, hopefully it will help the exhaust valve close a little quicker and the other side will help the remaining exhaust exit a little quicker from the other half of the split. Stuff like that's fun to do and is rewarding when it works like we plan and hope. But the real enjoyment is in our great granddaughters face.

I'm not trying to set the world on fire with a fast race kart. This stuff is fun. I'd just like to teach my great grandkids, grandkids and kids a few things they might be able to apply to their lives. I'm just out to have some fun and maybe get a little crazy ... well at my age I'm not far from there! hah.

Hey, thanks
Forrest73