HF6.5 and clutch

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetlag

Reaction score
I'm new here and will be building a cart soon.

I pretty much have everything figured out on what needs to happen, specs, etc...

The only thing confusing me is the clutch. The motor that will be used will be the Harbor Freight 6.5hp. What type of clutch will work/fit on this motor?

I've seen some guys just put a sprocket on the output shaft...is this not recommended?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, until then, I'll keep searching ;)

s0me1namedkyler

Reaction score
the clutch you will need will be a 3/4 inch centrifugal clutch (if you arent using a torque converter). a centrifugal clutch activates at a certain rpm. don't use a sprocket directly on the shaft because then the cart will be constantly moving when its idling.

jetlag

Reaction score
the clutch you will need will be a 3/4 inch centrifugal clutch (if you arent using a torque converter). a centrifugal clutch activates at a certain rpm. don't use a sprocket directly on the shaft because then the cart will be constantly moving when its idling.

Ok...and there is a sprocket on the end of the clutch right? and a chain would connect that to the sprocket on the axle...

kart_racer20

Reaction score
use a centrifugal clutch as stated above but gearing will depend on how fast you want to go and how far you want to go on my racing kart i use a 12-60 on a 1/7 mile dirt oval and when i go to bigger tracks like 1/5 mile i use a 15 tooth clutch and a 55 tooth gear on the back i hope this will help some

Status
Not open for further replies.