HF Welder Reliability and Performance vs. Price

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyrotechnic

Reaction score
I've seen some of the welders that HF sells, and they look like they could get the job done. They have a 110 amp MIG that will do flux core or run sheilding gas for $199.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=94164

How reliable are these welders ? Has anyone here used one for a long time and had good success with it ? How well do they play with beginners ? Are they going to make learning harder than something like a Miller, Lincoln, Hobart, etc ?

I'm just trying to decide if one of these would be a decent buy for starting out, learning, and building a kart and some other small jobs, or if I'm better off just saving my $200 and putting it towards a name brand welder ?

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
I have that exact same welder. I've been using it for a while now and I haven't had any big problems with it. I used it to build my kart and it hasn't fallen apart yet! It's not tremendously feature packed just as anything that's inexpensive but it gets the job done.

SloS13

Reaction score
I've got the cheaper flux-only version and have done a few car turbo setups with it (exhausts, intercooler piping, brackets, etc) and have owned it for about 3 years. Still works fine and dandy. Never had a weld break.

If you get that welder, ditch the wire it comes with and get some better stuff from lowes.

Pyrotechnic

Reaction score
How hard is it to set up one of these for gas ? I know some welders require a kit, and it doesn't really say if this one comes with the hoses and regulators and such or if there is a even a separate kit for it if there isn't anything included.

Though I'm really wondering if I should worry about having shielding gas when buying a cheap welder, just because the gas tank really adds a good bit to the final price.

Should I step down to this one ?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=94056

or

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=44567

Why the price difference, they both have the same specs ?

It would save me from having to install a 220V outlet, I wouldn't be tempted to buy shielding gas, and it's $149 which leaves me some cash to buy a good mask and gloves and some better wire. I would be mostly purchasing it for use this summer to build a cart until I can afford something better like a Hobart or Miller true MIG. Like I said, biggest thing I'm looking for is beginner friendly and able to well a kart together.

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
I'm using gas with mine. The welder comes with a hose already and all you have to do is get a regulator and tank.

I don't know why there's a difference in price between those two welders you linked to. :confused: they seem identical other than the design on the front.

You can weld with the gas-less stuff, but you'll see the difference when you go to gas. It's much cleaner and neat. I welded with the flux core for a while until I was able to get me a tank of CO2. Let's just say that for anything that matters, I won't use flux core. If I can remember to, I'll take some pics of where I used flux core on my kart and where I used CO2 and solid wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.