Hey - New to this. Any help would be great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Team_Sintex

Reaction score
Hiya, im new to this forum. Im from the UK(england).

To give myself a project over the summer im looking into building, designing and creating a petrol powered go-kart.

Im 18, currently working as an electrician, with very little knowledge about mechanics, so i'd like to pick your brains about some of the aspects first:

Frame - Round or square? what thickness?
Seat - Wooden supported by metal frame?
Steering - No idea about any of this, any websites about DIY go-karting steering or pictures greatly appreciated
Axels/Wheels - Are these a build it yourself, or ordered parts been as im a newb?
Engine - Im guessing i'll need atleast a 6HP engine with gears? I wish to achieve a gentle jogging speed if possible.
Clutch - I imagine these are just ordered aswel?
Gear box - what machine should i be looking for to aquire a gear box from? 50cc motor bike?

Any information you could give me would be fantastic!

I could take the engine from the obvious choices, petrol lawn mower or petrol strimmer, but these are vertical drive shaft machines? dont i need a horizontal one? If possible is there much work involved in adjusting the drive shaft?

Thanks in advance!

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Reaction score
welcome! another brit!!

firstly, if you dont mind me asking, whats your budget???
frame: your choice, depends where the kart will be used mainly tho
seat: you can pick up a used bucket seat for about £20 or fabricate one yourself
steering: this site has a steering section here
here and here
axle: most commonly live axles, where the power from the engine drives both wheels, or 1 wheel drive, where the engine powers one wheel. parts are mainly bought. you can see what i bought for my live axle in posts 24, 27 and 37.
engine: you can pick up a honda gx200 clone for under £100, or a briggs. i got my clone from ebay for £70, try "kart engine" or "6.5hp engine" only one gear is neccesary, and a gearbox is not usually used. sometimes torque convertors (an automatic belt driven gear box thingy, to get the most from your engine) are used, but they are quite expensive.
jogging speed: a 6.5hp clone can achieve 25mph+ with the right gearing. check out the speed calculator (a clone is reccomended @3600rpm
clutch: yeah they are just ordered, i got mine for about £30 from ebay.
lawnmower engines can be used, but it is quite complicated.

hope this helps!

Team_Sintex

Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the quick reply!

My budget at the minute is £500 :p

However that will grow by £200 a week from work, so it will be a steady job :).

How much funding do you think it will take before its operational?

thanks again

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
Welcome to the site! :thumbsup:

Your total cost will vary depending on how much you can get for free/cheap and how much stuff you have to buy outright. Try to be as resourceful as possible and jump on good deals when/if possible.

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Reaction score
Welcome to the site! :thumbsup:

Your total cost will vary depending on how much you can get for free/cheap and how much stuff you have to buy outright. Try to be as resourceful as possible and jump on good deals when/if possible.

:iagree: i never jump on good deals, i just say "itl be there tomorrow" and it isnt, and another good deal doesnt come up!

£500 should be fine, but it depends what u want. a full suspention kart/ buggy could cosy you a lot more. it also depends if that £500 is also for tools, and what tools you already have.

Team_Sintex

Reaction score
Naw, no suspension. Just a cheap and cheerful kart =]

Opt'd for circular tubing over square as its stronger overall.

Ill be going to my local scrappy at the weekend though, just to see if i cant find the foundation already built for me, Eg. Ride-On lawnmover.

Im sure slight adjustments to one of them would be easier then hiring welding equipment and buying tubing.

I have most tools, its mainly angle grinders and welding kits i dont seem to have lying around :)

thanks again

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Reaction score
if you want a non welded kart check out this

your lucky if your local scrappy sells anything, all of ours have been taken over by the french, so you can take stuff there, but not buy anything:furious2:

Status
Not open for further replies.