Hey everyone!

KayakDaddy69

Reaction score
Hey everyone! My name is Jeffrey and I am pretty new to go carts, but I just picked up a 2010 Hammerhead GTS150. I am hoping to use this to learn how to work on them. I am hoping to upgrade the motor and gearing to get me going a little bit faster. I am 6'2", 285lbs, and it tops out at about 32mph. I mainly drive it on pavement around my neighborhood, so I would like to try to get it to a top speed of about 55mph. I would love any tips on it. I would also like to eventually either trade up to a bigger cart, or modify this one to give a little more leg and head room. Here are some pics of it. Traded my old AR15 for it, so I think it was a pretty good trade for me. I have been watching Cars and Cameras on youtube and really enjoy their content. I am pretty excited to start this journey! I am very open to any and all recommendations! Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• messages_0(2).jpeg
    messages_0(2).jpeg
    405.5 KB · Views: 5
  • messages_0(1).jpeg
    messages_0(1).jpeg
    389.3 KB · Views: 5
  • messages_0.jpeg
    messages_0.jpeg
    400.6 KB · Views: 5

KayakDaddy69

Reaction score
Also, I should add, my goal is to build it into either an offroad build, or a drift build. I don't go off roading a whole lot, but really like the look of it being taller with much bigger tires, as well as some LED pods and things like that, however from a practical standpoint, I would probably use it more as a drifter.

KayakDaddy69

Reaction score
Sweet. I am not quite sure how to do that, but I am sure that I can find a video of it. I have taken the carb off and thoroughly cleaned it. I couldnt get it to stay running when I got it, but its much better now. I also couldnt get it to start up after sitting for >15minutes without spraying starter fluid, but I lowered the idle last night and it seems to run a little better, so I am going to test it out when I get home and see if it will start up. I also can't get it to change gears (forward and reverse) without shutting the cart down and starting it back up, so I will probably try to dive into that tonight.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
That is a good looking kart, but I see one huge problem. It is missing some bars in the roll cage. In the top of the cage where the holes are you are missing atleast 2 bars. In the event that you rolled it over sideways you will be seriously injured or seriously dead. The cage will fold up and you will be strapped into the seat. Please do not ride until this is fixed. That kart will not work well for a drifter. It is too high off the ground and too tall for a drifter. It is an off road kart and should be used as such. Now with that out of the way yes we can help you. You probably don’t have any governor to adjust so forget that.
Start a thread in the GoKart section with some good pictures of the engine and sprockets for starters. Then be prepared for more questions. Welcome to the Madness!

KayakDaddy69

Reaction score
One other thing swap the rear tires side to side. The tread is facing the wrong way.
That is a good looking kart, but I see one huge problem. It is missing some bars in the roll cage. In the top of the cage where the holes are you are missing atleast 2 bars. In the event that you rolled it over sideways you will be seriously injured or seriously dead. The cage will fold up and you will be strapped into the seat. Please do not ride until this is fixed. That kart will not work well for a drifter. It is too high off the ground and too tall for a drifter. It is an off road kart and should be used as such. Now with that out of the way yes we can help you. You probably don’t have any governor to adjust so forget that.
Start a thread in the GoKart section with some good pictures of the engine and sprockets for starters. Then be prepared for more questions. Welcome to the Madness!
Thank you so much! and yes, I have already ordered some material to replace those bars. They should be here either today or tomorrow. That was the first thing my dad told me to fix lol. But in regards to the drift idea, I appreciate the info. I am honestly not too hurt by it because i think it would look better as an off road machine. I have to completely rebuild the suspension because it is absolutely thrashed, so that will be a good excuse to upgrade instead of replace. I also need to just get new tires in general, preferably with less aggressive tread, more suited for the road.

KayakDaddy69

Reaction score
I plan on mounting the LED pods that I pulled off my bass boat and plan to mount it to the new roll cage bars. I also pulled the horn from the boat and am wiring it up tonight. I do need to figure out a good turn signal system.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
You can get aftermarket turn signal switches from Amazon or Speedway motors. Just make sure you can wire in brake lights if you want to later on in the switch. Your dad sounds like a smart man. Looks like you are on a farm. Why can’t you just make it a field bomber and ride around the fields (not through them) to preserve the crops. That’s what me and the kids used to do at their grandfathers farm.

KayakDaddy69

Reaction score
You can get aftermarket turn signal switches from Amazon or Speedway motors. Just make sure you can wire in brake lights if you want to later on in the switch. Your dad sounds like a smart man. Looks like you are on a farm. Why can’t you just make it a field bomber and ride around the fields (not through them) to preserve the crops. That’s what me and the kids used to do at their grandfathers farm.
Those pictures are from the guy I bought it from... I wish I had that property lol. I'm only 23 and my wife and I just purchased our first home but it's in a small neighborhood with a bunch of people in their 60s-70s lol.

panchothedog

Reaction score
That kart was designed and built for mild off road use. Sounds like you are trying to turn it into something it is not. The frame won't be a easy one to
lengthen. Most karts are a little on the uncomfortable side for a guy your size.
it is something you can sorta get used to. 32 mph really isn't all that bad.
Sorta like not being practical to lengthen ( not impossible ) to get the kart to run in the 50 mph range will be quiet a stretch. Get it running as good as you can in its stock form, drive and enjoy, and then be more selective in your 2nd
purchase. A two seater kart big enough to fit you comfortably and achieve a
top speed of 55 mph is going to take an engine of 400 to 500cc putting out
somewhere around 30 to 40 HP.

FlyFrog

Reaction score
That kart was designed and built for mild off road use. Sounds like you are trying to turn it into something it is not. The frame won't be a easy one to
lengthen. Most karts are a little on the uncomfortable side for a guy your size.
it is something you can sorta get used to. 32 mph really isn't all that bad.
Sorta like not being practical to lengthen ( not impossible ) to get the kart to run in the 50 mph range will be quiet a stretch. Get it running as good as you can in its stock form, drive and enjoy, and then be more selective in your 2nd
purchase. A two seater kart big enough to fit you comfortably and achieve a
top speed of 55 mph is going to take an engine of 400 to 500cc putting out
somewhere around 30 to 40 HP.
thats false i have a 212 on a gocart and it goes 47, yes it has steep gearing but it still works pretty well

panchothedog

Reaction score
I am sure you do. Many of the track style oval racing karts ( 40" to 50" wheelbase , 140 lbs empty ) running a centrifugal clutch and track gearing
( top speed ) in the 212 cc and 206 cc classes will top 50 mph easily. This fellow is 6' 2" and weighs 285 lbs. He is as big as half of the men in the NFL.
He is complaining about his current kart being too small and uncomfortable.
I seriously doubt that he is looking to get a SMALLER single seat, knees in your
chest racing style kart. I could be wrong. I own four large 2seater, roll cage equipped karts. Empty, they range in weight from 270 lbs to 400 lbs. None of them are geared for all out top speed. They all run torque converter, not centrifugal clutches. They are set up for STRONG acceleration, good hill climbing ability and being able to pull around two full sized adults with adequate power. My very biggest kart, a MANCO Intruder, has a 68" wheelbase
and is almost 7 &1/ 2 ' long. Largest kart I have ever come across. I bought it because one of my grandsons is 6' 2" and maybe not done growing . It is powered by a Predator 301 cc with governor removed, billet rod and flywheel,
stage one intake and exhaust, 50 lb valve springs, hotter cam, milled and professionally ported head. Not as radical as it could be, but still a nice running
very healthy engine. With two of us on board it tops out at 44 mph. If you go back and read my post, I state " a two seater, big enough to fit you comfortably " ( not a track kart geared for all out top speed ).
I STAND BY MY STATEMENT. It all depends on what you want the kart to do,
and WHOM is going to ride in it.