**HELP** Vintage Briggs engine Fires but won't start

L.Skynrd

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have this vintage Briggs and Stratton 3hp engine that I am restoring. I replaced the old breaker points ignition coil, to the modern electronic magneto coil. After I did that, it started right up and ran perfectly. From there, I removed the carb and gas tank, so I could repaint the engine. I reassembled everything and when I attempted to start it, it would not go. I sprayed starter fluid into the intake, and it would fire slightly, but did not come close to running. I am not sure what the problem could be. I cleaned the carb out. I Have a good spark plug, and new gas. I also replaced the flywheel key, as I misplaced the original one. The oil appears to be clean. I also feel compression. I have attached some pictures of the gaskets, as I think that may be part of the problem, but I have no idea at this point. I could really use some help.

Attachments

• 203B1265-195B-4BBF-818E-AE0563A72936.jpeg
    203B1265-195B-4BBF-818E-AE0563A72936.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 5
  • 0B3975CE-5B56-4154-8D6D-93CCC98FABA6.jpeg
    0B3975CE-5B56-4154-8D6D-93CCC98FABA6.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 6
  • g1.jpeg
    g1.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
  • g2.jpeg
    g2.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
See if you have spark. If not make sure you have a good contact between coil and block and gap is correct between coil and flywheel.

mckutzy

Reaction score
Try Amazon or get a bit of gasket paper from an auto parts store or any cardboard packaging material about the same thickness(thickness isnt super critical in this case)....
Cut out with a sharp hobby knife and scissors.
If using card stock, having a slight film of oil on the surfaces help to seal....

L.Skynrd

Reaction score
Ive replaced the flywheel key, and torqued the flywheel to the proper specs. It fires a bit longer, just like it is going to start, but it still fails.