Fixing or replacing tie rods on 3203 yerf dog

powerstorm815

Reaction score
So this happened....I'm wondering if it can be fixed or do I just get new ones and if so, which are the better tie rods? Pic to come...

Attachments

• 17102847155895055743904965653468.jpg
    17102847155895055743904965653468.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 11

Rat

Reaction score
I half agree with Denny, but good luck getting that style of stamped Heim joint with the same quality they MIGHT have still had 15 years ago.

Personally I'd upgrade to something a little more rigid than them wimpy 1/4" tie rods and just make it a whole swap type deal. Cast Heim joints with a grease fitting are going to be better than stamped long term anyway.

Rat

Reaction score
Ya tried screwing it back together?
Those stamped suckers tend to pull up at the seam thus loosening the threads... not sure how many craters or trees you need to hit to do that though.
I have or at least had a set somewhere that were noticeably deformed and quote loose on the threads.

Whitetrashrocker

Inmate #952016
Reaction score
The hardware store has ¼" heims. left and right hand thread with either an eye for a bolt or a pin type. Better quality than those crimped ones.

As far as rider weight.... if they can't fit in the seat then they are too heavy.

panchothedog

Reaction score
Go Power Sports sells real nice 3/8" tie rods in many lengths. 2" or 4" increments.
I have used them in two of the Yerf -Dogs that I have owned. They work great and are made to fix your problem. Good idea to get new ends as well. Not that expensive.

powerstorm815

Reaction score
Will getting new shocks/ springs for front end help prevent the tires going inward when a heavier person gets on but still fits in the seats??

panchothedog

Reaction score
Manufactured tie rods are made for the job. All thread is very soft poor quality steel. Unless your current shocks and springs are just completely worn out, I doubt that new ones will make any difference. Both of the Yerf -Dogs that I owned ( still have one of them ) were 15+ years old and had seen plenty of use. Never replaced shocks on either one. Although as stated earlier, I had to replace bent tie rods on both. They had been crashed into stuff quite hard.