Engine Backwards

Alexred42

Reaction score
I have to install my engine backwards. Anyway I can make the wheels go forwards?

mckutzy

Reaction score
Hello and welcome...
You have to make description of what your trying to say here...
Post some pics of your setup of what you are trying to do...

Alexred42

Reaction score
Hello and welcome...
You have to make description of what your trying to say here...
Post some pics of your setup of what you are trying to do...

I would post pics but I just got the engine today so I haven't put it on yet. However the engine spins clockwise and I need it to go counterclockwise

anickode

Reaction score
I would post pics but I just got the engine today so I haven't put it on yet. However the engine spins clockwise and I need it to go counterclockwise

Assuming it's a 4 strioke, it's really just not doable. Even with a 2 stroke, it's not something that's easily accomplished, especially if you have no idea where to start.

If it absolutely HAS to be backwards, an FNR gearbox might be the ticket. F is R and R is F.

950speed

Reaction score
Theoretically you could just mount the engine backwards so that the jackshaft is on the other side of where it would be. However this create an issue of having to flip which side of the axle the drive sprocket is on if applicable, and depending on the engine a new exhaust may need to be fabricated to direct flow away from the front

mckutzy

Reaction score
Off hand it kinda sounds like it might be a clone, and he wanted the head forward, for the look of it. Whereas the head is to the rear on how it is supposed to be placed...

950speed

Reaction score
I recall seeing a mini bike like that a few months ago on Instagram. I believe the builder made a custom jackshaft setup using gears from a straight cut transmission. Unfortunately I cannot remember the profile but it was a simple setup

anickode

Reaction score
I recall seeing a mini bike like that a few months ago on Instagram. I believe the builder made a custom jackshaft setup using gears from a straight cut transmission. Unfortunately I cannot remember the profile but it was a simple setup

You can buy keyed bore gears in assorted sizes just like you can buy sprockets, but due to lubrication issues and dirt, they do not work well at high rpms outside of a gearbox.

---------- Post added at 08:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 AM ----------

Theoretically you could just mount the engine backwards so that the jackshaft is on the other side of where it would be. However this create an issue of having to flip which side of the axle the drive sprocket is on if applicable, and depending on the engine a new exhaust may need to be fabricated to direct flow away from the front

If you mount the engine backwards, the kart or bike will go backwards. No getting around that without gears or LOTS of money.

950speed

Reaction score
You can buy keyed bore gears in assorted sizes just like you can buy sprockets, but due to lubrication issues and dirt, they do not work well at high rpms outside of a gearbox.

---------- Post added at 08:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 AM ----------

If you mount the engine backwards, the kart or bike will go backwards. No getting around that without gears or LOTS of money.

Incorrect!
First off to show as an example: my kart goes foreword now, if I place the engine on backwards then it will go backwards. It’s not going to continue on going forward. As you said if the engine is placed In the opposite way it was made to be put on whatever machinery, then it will drive backwards. Doesn’t matter if it’s clockwise or counter clockwise.

Now I have attached a few photos showing how it can be done WITHOUT lots of money and WITHOUT gears!

The black line around the outside is the chain, blue is sprockets, and green is clutch. The red arrows show the direction of motion. If it was a direct drive from the clutch to the rear sprocket then it would be moving in the wrong direction.

Attachments

• 82412431-DFF9-4D7E-BCDE-6B75F467EE7F.jpeg
    82412431-DFF9-4D7E-BCDE-6B75F467EE7F.jpeg
    112.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 5A58BFED-01B9-42FA-A71A-5DC11181D8F2.jpeg
    5A58BFED-01B9-42FA-A71A-5DC11181D8F2.jpeg
    129.1 KB · Views: 9

anickode

Reaction score
Incorrect!
First off to show as an example: my kart goes foreword now, if I place the engine on backwards then it will go backwards. It’s not going to continue on going forward. As you said if the engine is placed In the opposite way it was made to be put on whatever machinery, then it will drive backwards. Doesn’t matter if it’s clockwise or counter clockwise.

Now I have attached a few photos showing how it can be done WITHOUT lots of money and WITHOUT gears!

The black line around the outside is the chain, blue is sprockets, and green is clutch. The red arrows show the direction of motion. If it was a direct drive from the clutch to the rear sprocket then it would be moving in the wrong direction.

A valid point. You can drive off the outside of the chain.
Running a wonky chain setup counts as gearing though, IMO.

950speed

Reaction score
I never said it was or was not gearing, I said it can be done without “gears” since it just uses sprockets. It’s really not a wonky chain setup considering it’s tensioned well and has a guard on the front. I believe in layer pictures the builder has a full guard on that side of the bike