Electric Start Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatkidrob

Reaction score
My electric starter isn't working, my battery is dead so im using a battery charger set to "Immediate Start." The starter motor is fine but i have a feeling it has something to do with the gear that engages the flywheel or possibly something else. It turns and then acts like its backfiring but it does it every time the starter engages the flywheel so i can get it to keep running to start the engine.

Kenny_McCormic

Kartless....
Reaction score
Can you pull start the engine? Pull the fan shroud off and see whats going on, it wont hurt to run it for a minute without one. If its bouncing off the compression stroke it could be 4 things.

1. decompression mech failure

2. weak starter

3. not enough starter power, could be you or wiring/noid issue. Might also be a bad ground.

4. engine broken internally, make sure it cranks over all the way if you grab and turn the flywheel.

try touching the possitive connector cable to the starter hookup bolt on the starter with the negative cable on one of the motor mounting bolts or the oil drain pipe, wiggle your ground to make sure it bites into bare metal. This will eliminate #3.

EagleTalons

Master JB Welder
Reaction score
Can you pull start the engine?
try touching the possitive connector cable to the starter hookup bolt on the starter with the negative cable on one of the motor mounting bolts or the oil drain pipe, wiggle your ground to make sure it bites into bare metal. This will eliminate #3.

That is exactly how I start my 12hp briggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.