Electric start and other questions for hybrid go kart.

frostyounce

Reaction score
Hello all, I am currently doing a hybrid conversion on my previously gas-only go-kart and I am stumped on how to set up an electric start system. Since I am currently running a billet flywheel, I can't just buy the cast iron flywheel with teeth for a starter, and I don't want to drop 250 bucks on a billet flywheel with teeth, so I don't know what do to for an electric start. For reference, the reason I want an electric start is because I am planning on using a raspberry pi as a management system to turn off and on the engine as needed to maximize my range and use of power.

Another concern I have is the throttle setup. Now I want there to be only one throttle since I want this project to be as clean as possible(ik odd reason but hear me out), so I am thinking of different methods I could junction the electric throttle with the gas one. Easily, you could just put a throttle position sensor on the gas throttle and viola, but the issue comes when I would be in electric-only wanting to turn the engine on, so if they were connected in such a way, I would not only be starting the engine with my foot on the gas throttle, it would also not be warm and therefore not ready for high load.

I am fully aware this can be seen as a stupid idea, but practicality isn't really the point here I'm just trying to have fun with an interesting project and hopefully get something worthwhile and interesting to drive and experience.

TLDR: How to hook up electric start with billet flywheel + electric/gas throttle in one pedal

Engine: Stage 2 GPS Non-hemi Predator 212 w/ Juggernaut 30 series torque converter
Axle: 48t sprocket
Electric Motor: 3000w 72v BLDC w/ 50 amp controller and 72v 20ah LiPO4 battery.

Attachments

• 20220310_165400.jpg
    20220310_165400.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 3
  • 20220310_165414.jpg
    20220310_165414.jpg
    954.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220310_165424.jpg
    20220310_165424.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Sounds interesting :thumbsup:

Um...I'd say you answered your own question ;)
...to start an engine with an electric starter, requires a flywheel with teeth

How about more info on your motor/controller/battery pack combo?

frostyounce

Reaction score
Sounds interesting :thumbsup:

Um...to start an engine with an electric starter, requires a flywheel with teeth

How about more info on your motor/controller/battery pack combo?
Here's the link to the motor kit I bought and the battery I'm using.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Manual clutch (a neutral position would be a nice bonus) on the gas engine would allow for a roll-start by dumping the clutch, but your holeshots would basically have to be electric only until you could bring in the gas, unless you want to ride the clutch off the line.

EpsilonZero

...still cheaper than a boat!
Reaction score
Remove the direct connection from your throttle to your powerplants, but keep a hall effect sensor on it. Feed the output to your Raspberry Pi and selectively forward it to your electric motor and to a servo motor that turns the electrical signal back into a mechanical signal for the engine throttle.

Make sure you have easily reachable cutoffs for both powerplants.

Remedy7

Reaction score
In the planning phases of something pretty similar. What do you plan to do about the gearing ratios?