Electric/Solar kart

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarik3001

Reaction score
Hello all! I am new to this forum and am looking for guidance in building this. I have never even attempted a project like this so I dont even know where to start. I googled for a couple hours but seem even more confused than when I first started my hunt. I want to make an electric go kart for an adult, also using solar panels to charge..Id like it to go between 20 and 30mph with me in it...190 lb guy. I am an engineering major so I know a decent amount about electronics and can probably figure out how to put it together with some instruction. Where do I buy the pieces and where can I find plans? I have no idea where to start...THanks!

Bluethunder3320

Reaction score
the best thing you can do if you want to build the cart from scratch is sketch (engineering...) a frame. you will need spindles (front axles) you can buy or make, rear axle, tie rods, steering wheel &pitman arms, etc...

if you put in suspension its harder you will need shocks and make swing arms or a arms.

or just buy a used cart from ebay or craigslist and modify it.

get one that doesnt run or has a blown motor so you can get it cheap to convert to electric.

tarik3001

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.. I am looking to make one from scratch..Do I have to use metal for the frame/chassis or can I use a touch plastic like PVC pipe because I have no experience welding and I hear it is quite an art to learn..thanks

redsox985

Reaction score
PVC will shatter and become razor sharp splinters moving at whatever speed the kart is moving. Welding with either a flux core or mug welded is quite simple and can be picked up in a few hours with some direction. There are lots if videos online showing the proper techniques and desired qualities of welds. It's easier than you think.

tarik3001

Reaction score
like the black and gold..haha..is it expensive? Can I rent all the supplies I need or this something that I will need to buy?
Thanks

j.concepcion54321

Rebuilding KTM, Need Kart
Reaction score
how often are you planning on using the kart because solar panels take a while to charge the batteries and if its going to be for constant use your going to have to have alot of charged batterys on reserve to swap them in when the other ones are dead. Another thing you cold do is to charge the batterys ake something like a weedeater or an old chainsaw and run that to an alternator from like a riding mower or a small car and use that to charge your batterys. that'd be kinda cool to see on a kart.

Status
Not open for further replies.