Drilling Holes In Flywheel

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAlterBridge

Reaction score
Since I can't find a lawn mower flywheel that will fit my engine, I wanted everyones opinions and comments on taking the flywheel already on the engine, and drilling holes in it to make it lighter.
I have never messed with flywheels, and I don't know if drilling holes will mess the cooling system (the fins on the flywheel.) up or something, that's why I'm asking. I thought about putting holes all the way around the circumference of the flywheel. That way, it would be lighter, yet not imbalanced.
I'd like everyones comments and/or suggestions.

biddie_gibbs

Reaction score
yes please remember to keep it balanced. because if you don't the flywheel could warp and scrape against the stuff around it. then you would have a reason for anger. OR if you had the money you could get it resurfaced with a brake resurface tool that shaves metal away making it thinner making that lighter. that probably did not help.

Matt1995

Reaction score
I really wouldnt drill holes in a flywheel. You risk the structual integrity of the flywheel,and at worst, it can break apart and explode..you dont want that! Some have cut fins off of the flywheel, but at even intervals, but really, it's not worth it IMO...esp for safety's sake.

GoAlterBridge

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your replies, you've been a great help. Due to events in my life I won't be on the forums for a while. Thanks again.

MAXRPM

Reaction score
iv done it just on a smaller scale on gopeds i just broke of evre other fin ant the acell is alot bettr just keep it even :)

Status
Not open for further replies.