DNF - 2020 - Cozy Coupe Bucket Tee

jamyers

Reaction score
I'll never complete this before the end of 2020, but I'm also not going to wait to start, lol.

Inspired by the "Cars and Cameras" cozy coupe build, I'm going to go one better - a 2-seater. My engine if half the size of theirs, but it once I get this built it should be fairly easy to swap a bigger engine in. (But with 16hp, 8000rpm, and 5 speeds I imagine this will be right peppy. My calculations so far indicate that it'll be geared close to the ATV, and not much heavier (depending on the weight of the body). The ATV would hit a terrifying 45mph, which I'm thinking is plenty fast enough for me (for now).

Pictured are the engine/trans, steering, front brakes, wiring, and the rear axle from a 2005 SunL 250 avt (google "SUNL" for a great example of crappy customer service). The engine is a clone of a Honda CMX250 twin that starts and runs like a champ (the shaft drive right-angle gearboxes they slapped on it, however, are pure chinese crap and are already in the scrap heap)

The Current Plan:
* get some 4"x2" C-purlin, weld up a ladder frame, mount the engine sideways, and either do a short chain sideways to a long shaft along the side of the frame back to the rear and then another short chain to the differential, or If I can figure a way to go straight from the 20mm 6-spline transmission output shaft into a decent u-joint, I might hit a wrecking yard and see about getting a driveshaft that'll fit to the axle, then shortening it and going with just a driveshaft.

* No rear suspension, just u-bolts holding the rear axle housing to the frame. (*if* I end up with an actual driveshaft, and *if* I can get a good enough slip yoke, I *might* add a rear suspension - probably a simple set of half-leaf springs (aka "quarter ellipticals). I'm thinking of using an old car rear axle of unknown origin that's currently under a really light and cheesy utility trailer that needs scrapping...if not that there are several small car rear axles in a local wrecking yard - just need something between 3.25 and 4 to 1 in order to hit my calculated gearing needs.

* Front suspension - half-leaf springs (quarter ellipticals) on top of the frame rails, with equal-length rods underneath, all going up to a transverse beam front axle I'll make up from 2"x1" rectangle tubing, with the ATV steering pivots, hubs, brakes, etc welded on.

* Steering - rob a steering wheel from somewhere, I have no idea how I'll route everything, but basic kart/atv steering.

* Brakes - Cable operated drum brakes front and rear. On the front I'll use the ATV brakes, on the rear I'll either use the drums that are on the trailer axle, or maybe figure a way to get the ATV drums on there, or who knows? If nothing else I can add a disc brake to the front of the differential. The cool thing about using cable-operated brakes is that I'll be able to apply one or the other - the setup I'm thinking of will have all brakes normally applied by the brake pedal, but have a hand-lever that can lock just the fronts either for a parking brake or like a "line-lock" for doing burnouts, hahaha!

* Body - Oversized "Cozy Coupe", using an old plastic body mostly for the corners and the eyes (local day care has one I can get this weekend). I'm thinking I'll section the plastic body into its 4 corners, figure out the size I want, then "fill in" the sides/front/back with something - either learn some sheetmetal skills, or maybe use expanding foam as a core for fiberglass, idk. I want 2 "bomber" bucket seats, with controls laid out like a car with 3 pedals (clutch brake gas), a dashboard. And eyes. Gotta have eyes. Oh yeah, and a (removeable) yellow roof, hahaha!
- Also, I'm thinking I can make up a fake "radiator" at the front of the frame, and that's where the battery and engine electrical components will hide.

This is going to be a long-term project, but if I never start, I'll never finish.

Attachments

• IMG_20201124_150912298.jpg
    IMG_20201124_150912298.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20201124_150933718.jpg
    IMG_20201124_150933718.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20201124_150943986.jpg
    IMG_20201124_150943986.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20201124_151059041.jpg
    IMG_20201124_151059041.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 5

jamyers

Reaction score
Here's a clip from my layout in TinkerCad, a pretty cool program for messing around in.

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-12-03 155440.jpg
    Annotation 2020-12-03 155440.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 2

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
@jamyers said
This is going to be a long-term project, but if I never start, I'll never finish.

Good strategy starting now for 2021 too.

Build while you can, since it's hard to anticipate what else can happen in a given calendar year !