DIY oil filter wrench you can (probably) make for free!

Status
Not open for further replies.

supermanotorious

Winchmaster 5000
Messages
2,088
Reaction score
103
Location
New River, AZ
I know this is more to do with motorcycles, such as my smokin' hot 2003 H-D Dyna but I was so stoked I was able to do this I wanted to share it with as many people as possible. This also isn't another 'build' post but about making yet another tool (can you tell this guy doesn't like to spend $$ if he doesn't ABSOLUTELY have to). Today I bought my oil and new filter but forgot to ask about the filter wrench, this was my first time changing oil on the bike I got in August. I scoured the interwebs for a 'DIY oil filter wrench' (hopefully search engines will hit on that phrase lol) but couldn't find anything. I then came across the socket/strap wrench and said- I can make that! Used some old square tube, 2 screws, and a few inches of strap from a broken ratchet strap and wahlah! Got the old filter off and new one on in no time flat.
 

Attachments

  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 12

fowler

New member
Messages
5,463
Reaction score
18
Location
Bullsbrook West Aus
Great idea p

That's probs the best form of wrench u can buy

Looks a lot like my $60 one from CAT
Lol
But a bit more extension on the end of yours
And seatbelt is also a good strap material
Holds more force and doesn't crush the filter

Nice job

I love makeing tools
Although never get the time at work
Then by the time I need it at home Iv already got 50 versions of it at work

Do u wanna design a socket to get my wheel bearings off
So I can make it before I pull the axle out
Lol

EDIT

Here's a an idea
If super is ok with it
Post up your own DIY tools
Either from scratch or modified tools
Might be good for getting someone outta trouble
Or saveing someone from spending big bux
 

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Messages
12,461
Reaction score
70
Location
White Settlement Texas
Great idea p

That's probs the best form of wrench u can buy

Looks a lot like my $60 one from CAT
Lol
But a bit more extension on the end of yours
And seatbelt is also a good strap material
Holds more force and doesn't crush the filter

Nice job

I love makeing tools
Although never get the time at work
Then by the time I need it at home Iv already got 50 versions of it at work

Do u wanna design a socket to get my wheel bearings off
So I can make it before I pull the axle out

Lol

EDIT

Here's a an idea
If super is ok with it
Post up your own DIY tools
Either from scratch or modified tools
Might be good for getting someone outta trouble
Or saveing someone from spending big bux

OMG- Axle bolt......Well not exactly. ...but axle nut. '93 Toyota. ...trying to change the CV axle while putting in a clutch. Pried so hard I was lifting the car off the jackstands....broke a 1/2" breaker bar...BP Blaster...this freeze penetrating oil stuff.....fire and ice....nothing. If my neighbor's impact wrench hadn't been slightly better than mine it would probably still be on there!
 

fowler

New member
Messages
5,463
Reaction score
18
Location
Bullsbrook West Aus
That's what u like about havering a 3/4 gun

There's nothing on a car that it won't remove
Or snap
Real weird bearing retainers
They're a disc with internal thread and loads of holes in it
Need special service tool ....
That'll be $200 and a left nut thanks
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top