Coolster 250cc kart strange ignition problem.

dniksich

Reaction score
I just picked up a Coolster GK-6250 kart with a gy6 250cc engine and I'm in the process of fixing it up but I'm having a strange ignition problem. The guy I got it from said it used to do about 50mph top speed but has slowed down for some reason. I got it running and indeed I can only get it to 30mph. Been messing with it and the first thing I noticed was it won't start if you just crank it normally but only if you "bump" the key. Pulled the plug to check spark and yep, it'll spark a couple times when the key is turned but then no spark? Tested the coil and it's good, new cdi and no change. I've been thinking trigger coil but I'd think it wouldn't spark at all? Tested the trigger and get 108 ohms between the wires, does that sound good? Looks like a PITA to replace so I'm trying other stuff first. Any suggestions on what I can try next? TIA

dniksich

Reaction score
Humm, that's a idea. I'll try to "hot wire" it and see what happens. Thanks

dniksich

Reaction score
Pulled the ignition and it seems he had it wired wrong, it's 3 wires being 1 battery, 1 ignition and 1 starter so I put them where they belong and it is getting spark all the time and started up but with 1 problem......no lights work now? lol typical luck for me. They worked before I swapped wires but not now. But I am happy it's running and maybe it's got it's speed back and now I can try to figure out the wiring.

Rat

Reaction score
Definitely sounds like worn contacts in the keyswitch. If it's a cheap janky unit it's also possible the internals are trying to rotate with the key and by bumping it you give it a chance to slide back a little.

Easy to check with the diode/continuity setting of any meter

Rat

Reaction score
Pulled the ignition and it seems he had it wired wrong, it's 3 wires being 1 battery, 1 ignition and 1 starter so I put them where they belong and it is getting spark all the time and started up but with 1 problem......no lights work now? lol typical luck for me. They worked before I swapped wires but not now. But I am happy it's running and maybe it's got it's speed back and now I can try to figure out the wiring.
Bad keyswitch for sure

dniksich

Reaction score
I'll get another one. Just a cheap Amazon one and this is the 3rd or 4th one on it cause he had a habit of leaving it out in the rain/snow and water was getting in them and messing them up to where it wouldn't even crank. Water could've gotten in this one as well. Thank

panchothedog

Reaction score
NAW. Nothing ever goes wrong with the wiring on a Chinese kart with a Gy6 engine. Sorry guy, just venting . Hope the post above helped you out some.

dniksich

Reaction score
Got it going and rewired the lights so they're working again and it's getting spark like normal and starts up. Haven't taken it for a ride yet to see if the lost speed has returned. Hopefully it has. Thanks for the help everybody.