Converted electric go kart issues going from a stop

protomor

Reaction score
So I inherited a lead gas powered go kart a while ago and my kids hated how loud it was. I picked up this electric kit from amazon and did my best to slap it on (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087RFJT8F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1). The go kart had some weird chain size that I couldn't figure out so I did the best I could. The kart drives great once it's up to speed but it jutters and stutters at low speeds. You have to give it 1mm of throttle or else it stutters and then once it's up to speed you can gradually give it more throttle. Originally, I thought the motor was bad so I got another one. Then I thought the wiring was too thin so I up sized everything to 14 gauge. The gears are 7 to about 60 but I need to double check that. My wife (half my weight) also has the same problem so it's not that I'm too heavy.

Either way, since I have a second motor, I was pondering getting a second controller and wiring them to use the same throttle (debatable). I could get the motors to share the same chain too.

Does anyone know why it jutters like that? usually, if I'm just stuck, the motor will pause, not stutter. Also, how dumb of an idea is it to make the two motors share the same chain? I know I could get a second set of batteries but that's starting to get REALLY expensive for a fun toy.

Attachments

• 242752188_10106839268393267_5793451151134729560_n.jpg
    242752188_10106839268393267_5793451151134729560_n.jpg
    321 KB · Views: 11

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Here's what you need for that funky chain situation. The electric motor has a T8F shaft for T8F sprockets and chains. This link let's you click on either a 9-tooth or 11-tooth #35 sprocket to fit on that T8F motor. Then you can run a standard #35 gokart chain and axle sprocket, no skipping.
Electric Motor Sprocket #35 T8F 25H 11T 9T Tooth For Gokart Scooter Quad Buggy | eBay
Here's a chart that shows you all about 3/8" (#35) chains, and the larger 1/2" chains. T8F scooter chains don't even make it into the chart.
Chain for Go Kart, Mini Bike | GoKarts USA®

protomor

Reaction score
Well I already mostly figured out the gearing issue. I found the closes sized gear but it was just too thick. So I shaved it down until it fit. Seems to work. My main issue is the lack of ability to go from a stop. I have 4 12v 22ah SLA batteries in series. I tried adding another set in parallel to double amps but that didn't do much of anything so I returned them.