Conversion of riding lawn mower to Electric

Nickzim

Reaction score
I have an old lawn mower I thought would make a good electric yard car. No mowing, just a ride. I thought it would/could remain belt driven using original transaxle for speed control. Am I just nuts to pursue such a project?

A few pitfalls or reference material or forum would be a big help :)

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
You are just nuts! Welcome to the club… and welcome to DIY! About the transaxle belt drive, I’ve never done electric projects before though some of us have, belts in general are a pain in the Arizona. Yard car huh? I bet this will turn out to be a good off roader if setup properly. I’d talk to @Functional Artist, he’s made some great electric builds. This sounds possible. Are you trying to keep as many original parts/as cheap as possible? I’d also like to see the mower itself.

Nickzim

Reaction score
We have a couple of stray mowers to choose from. I described them in a post this AM about me in the welcome members forum. To be brief. A John Deere 345 w/ 18HP Kawasaki Water cooled. Also a Cub Cadet with a 20 HP Kohler. After retiring, cheap is my middle name :) Thanks for the come-back!

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Howdy & :welcome2:

A trans & gears aren't usually needed or helpful on a vehicle motivated by an electric motor.

Depending on your intended use, a 48V 1,000W motor (or 2 of them)
...pared with a Peerless differential, would be a nice-n-simple set up.

My Mini-Slingshot is motivated by a 48V 1,000W motor :thumbsup:

Nickzim

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! Yes, I now understand that the hydrostatic transmissions cannot be over reved. What you are telling me makes more sense to me today than yesterday. We grow smarter. Cool Video by the way (y)

Nickzim

Reaction score
JD345.jpg
JD 345 after approx 6 yrs in the weeds. Tires pumped up, Still holding antifreeze and oil. Pulled sparkplugs, sprayed foaming oil into cyls and turned over a dozen time by hand. All good so far. I'm sure the carbs will need a serious cleanout. So far, we will pursue the motor until....? I still want an electric project though :)