compressor running warm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loweguy

New member
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Location
CT
Hi all

I have a Craftsman 30 gallon vertical compressor that I literally haven't run in probably 5 years. I pulled it away from the wall, wiped it off and fired it up. It seemed to run fine and developed good pressure. After running a couple of minutes it had tank pressure over 120 psi. If memory serves me, this compressor is good for delivering a consistent 90 psi or so.

My question relates to temperature. I noticed not only the motor but also the tank itself were warm to the touch. Is this normal?

It's an oil - free model and I can't really see anything that I could maintenance. It seems to run perfectly just want to make sure I'm not doing damage to it.

Thanks in advance for any input you may offer.

Mike
 

Loweguy

New member
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Location
CT
Exactly my guess, but I figured it was wise to check in with people who know more about it than I do.

Thank you!
 

machinist@large

Active member
Messages
2,865
Reaction score
33
Location
West Michigan, 49331
Hi all

I have a Craftsman 30 gallon vertical compressor that I literally haven't run in probably 5 years. I pulled it away from the wall, wiped it off and fired it up. It seemed to run fine and developed good pressure. After running a couple of minutes it had tank pressure over 120 psi. If memory serves me, this compressor is good for delivering a consistent 90 psi or so.

My question relates to temperature. I noticed not only the motor but also the tank itself were warm to the touch. Is this normal?

It's an oil - free model and I can't really see anything that I could maintenance. It seems to run perfectly just want to make sure I'm not doing damage to it.

Thanks in advance for any input you may offer.

Mike

If you can touch them then everything should be fine....and I wouldn't describe any problem as being warm...but HOT!!!!!


Doug's correct, it sounds like its in working order. FYI; when you compress any gas it generates heat. The tank getting warm from what I would guess was an empty state is normal. Keeping an eye on the compressor temp is the important part. That being said, there's almost zero that you can do by way of routine maintenance on one of these other than keep the intake filters clean, as well as the rest of the unit.

If nothing jumps out on you, you should be fine. :thumbsup:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top