Comet 30 series belt help

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.D.

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Manco 906C Rattler EZR of of Craig'sList for $285. pic of my cart
It has full suspension, and a 6hp Tecumseh PowerSport engine.
From my research, I believe it originally came with a Robin 6hp engine. I have a Honda clone I can install on it as well, but I'm thinking about swapping on a Honda 200S three wheeler engine and transmission that I also have waiting in the wings (after a rebuild as is smokes spy hunter style).

Anyways, I did a bunch of maintenance to the cart to get it in better operating condition as the previous owner was unable to store it inside and out of the elements. I disassembled, cleaned and lubed the TAV and made sure everything operated quite smoothly and was lined up correctly. pic of installed TAV I took it out and after only a short time of riding, I was having trouble getting it to go and it wouldn't make it up any slight hills. I pulled it back into the garage, and discovered it had stripped the lugs off of several sections of the belt. pic of wasted belt It came with a second belt so I swapped it over. I researched online and learned that there is adjustment to the driven pulley. I noticed that the driven pulley was set to the #1 hole. Thinking I was slipping it trying to go up hills, I adjusted the driven pulley to the #3 hole, so it would grab and do what I wanted. I took it out again and, just like before it keeps taking chunks out of the belt. Both times, the belts were installed correctly with the "flat" towards the engine (just like it says right on the belt itself).The previous owner said one of the belts was new but it chewed through both of them like nothing.

I'm kind of frustrated and unsure as to why it does this. The belt is Comet #203591. Is there a heavier duty version of this belt?

I'm not exactly a "large" guy '6"2, 175lbs and I feel this cart should be able to carry me around with ease. It currently has even less weight as it is sans-cage until I get all the bugs worked out.

If anyone here can lend some advice, tips, or help, I'd sure appreciate it. Thank You.

Nishnabe

Reaction score
30 series

I dont buy those expensive Manco belts I go to Atwoods and buy the jm 24in belts they are smooth and 3 bucks.

A.D.

Reaction score
Thanks for your input, however while I was waiting, I somehow stumbled onto something I managed to overlook in my previous searches.
belt chart
That page says that "Comet Belt #203589A is also known as Manco #5959 - Fits Manco Model 285,286,485,486 & 906"
Being that this cart is a 906C, I now believe that the previous owner had the incorrect belt on it. I did the measuring of the driver and driven center line distance and the driven diameter thus confirming my suspicions. I then ordered one of the 203589 belts but haven't had a chance to try it out yet.
I'm pretty sure this will solve the problem.
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.