CNC Fiber Laser Cutting

Status
Not open for further replies.

zero1dhd

Master Fabricator
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure where to put this, but figured here would be best. Mods, please move to wherever it should go.

Anyway, for a living I program and operate a CNC fiber laser. Standard accuracy is +/-.003", but I regularly have to adjust offsets and stuff to hold .001" tolerances for some parts for the aerospace industry.
I cut some stuff for myself from time to time. I recently bought a bike that needs a bunch of work and needed a stand for it.

Material is 11ga CRS - cut time 2 minutes - weld time >20 minutes

Designed and cut the "kit" today at work

Decided I might as well add some storage shelves and put my logo on the side of it.

Welded up

Supporting the bike :thumbsup:

---------- Post added at 08:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 PM ----------

I'm putting this in a seperate reply in case the Mods think it should be moved into a thread / section of it's own somewhere.

This could be GOLD to a whole lot of you guys out there.

Part of the program allows me to draw and ANSI (or custom pitch/roller) sproket. I literally pick the ANSI number and the number of teeth. It can be ANY number of teeth (odd, even, any whole number) and the software draws the sproket automatically.

I can then laser cut them out of whatever thickness metal to aerospace tolerances. Steel, stainless, aluminum, etc. Even titanium (if you wanna buy that expensive stuff) I like to make two piece ones so they are easily changed.

This one is 11ga CRS, two piece, ANSI #35, 60T, bolted to a matching cut 1/4" HRS flange (which I'm welding to a solid axle for a live rear axle cart)

I can make these available to you guys for a price yet to be determined. I would just need to know the size of the hole you want in the center as well as the bolt circle diameter w/ quanity. One piece or two (it could be three, four, etc if you wanted lol)

Let me know if this is something you guys might be interested in. These would be flat cut only, no CNC work.

mckutzy

Reaction score
That's some nice work... Looks great...

You shouldn't weld anything to an axle... For a number of reasons, predominantly if you need to move/adjust the alignment, if the axle is bent(now potentially weakened by welding)....
Get a hub and weld to that...

zero1dhd

Master Fabricator
Reaction score
No worries on welding to the axle. I'm using left over 1 1/2" DOM tubing from a roll cage I made not very long ago. It's for a live axle rear end on a low power cart for one of my kids. I don't have any issues with getting things mocked up and lined up perfectly before welding. If the axle ever bends, I can just make a new one. I appreciate the advise, and if I was using a real keyed axle I would agree with you 100%

Thank you for the kind words on the stand.

Flyinhillbilly

The great cornholio
Reaction score
That's some nice work. I'm building a drag minibike that I've been pondering how to get the gear ratio low enough, you may be the soloution to my problem.

B.M.800

TheBeal.
Reaction score
I worked at a shop with a cnc laser. Always wanted to ask If I could get some parts cut out... unfortunately financial problems got everybody laid off.

Looks like yours leaves a nicer cut.

Cool stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.