Clutch vs Direct Chain drive for electric cart

glull

Reaction score
I'm in the planning phase of converting an old shifter frame into an electric cooler cart. I'm interested in opinions of using a centrifugal clutch vs a direct chain drive off the electric motor. Especially when braking, I'm just concerned about the effect of keeping the accelerator down at the same time. I saw someone mention a brake pedal cutout for the motor?
Thoughts?

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Howdy & :welcome2:

Electric motors don't need clutches

Just press the pedal & gooooooooooo:auto:

Many (if not most) speed controllers have a brake cut-off feature
...that "cuts" the power to the motor when the brake pedal is activated

This is a safety feature that prevents the motor from accelerating, when the brakes are applied ;)

Safer for the driver, in a "panic" situation (so, it isn't trying to go, when you're trying to stop)
...& safer for the motor too (also, so it isn't trying to go, when you're trying to stop) :thumbsup:

glull

Reaction score

This is a safety feature that prevents the motor from accelerating, when the brakes are applied ;)

Safer for the driver, in a "panic" situation (so, it isn't trying to go, when you're trying to stop)
...& safer for the motor too (also, so it isn't trying to go, when you're trying to stop) :thumbsup:

Makes perfect sense. I'll need to ensure that that the brake cut-off is part of my "kit"
THX!

Willie1

Reaction score

Being very mobility limited I use electric scooters to get around a lot. Their controllers are set up to use the motors as brakes on decell to stop the scooter. I have to ease back on the throttle to "coast" to a gentle stop - just snapping the throttle shut has the effect of slamming the brakes on. The outdoors one actually has a regen mode, much like electric cars, that charges the battery on decell. There are many levels of controllers, with varying functions - some are pre-set to certain "curves", while others are tuneable, like golf cart controllers.

IMO using a clutch on an electric motor would negate several of the benefits of the electric motor, and be hard on the clutch. I can "creep" my scooters at just barely moving if necessary, where the clutch needs RPM to engage, so you would lose low speed drivability. Gas motors have little torque down low, so the clutch has a chance to tighten up and engage before max torque is applied. Not so with electric, which has max torque without rotation. I think maxing the throttle would "drive thru" a clutch - apply too much torque before the centrifugal force could fully apply the clutch - and burn it out quickly under spirited use.

redflash

Reaction score
probably wouldn't pull the weight of a 350 lb "off road Kart" with a 200 lb adult over anything but a flat parking lot. It would need freaky gearing to pull up a hill or over rocky ground. even on all 4 wheels, then it would be too costly.

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used a hub motor in a build ?
Illuminating
AFASU The main issue with using hub motors, is that you have to "overcompensate" (quite a bit) with the motor size
...because there isn't any gear reduction
or
...it has to be matched pretty well with the application ;)