Clutch sticks hammerhead 208r

whizzerwheel

Reaction score
Hi all, newbie here. My grand kids have a torpedo and a 208r. Yesterday they were tearing around and suddenly the 208R clutch "locked" up and stalled the kart when coming to a stop. I had to start it in gear with a push to get it back to the house. Pulled the cover off and it looks like the variator is intermittently not variating... this is a pretty new kart but we have changed the belt once. Before I take it apart, is there any advice? Should I just replace it?

BrownStainRacing

Reaction score
Hi all, newbie here. My grand kids have a torpedo and a 208r. Yesterday they were tearing around and suddenly the 208R clutch "locked" up and stalled the kart when coming to a stop. I had to start it in gear with a push to get it back to the house. Pulled the cover off and it looks like the variator is intermittently not variating... this is a pretty new kart but we have changed the belt once. Before I take it apart, is there any advice? Should I just replace it?
Get some pics of both pulleys before you take it apart.

It's a pretty simple system. But they do get a bunch of stuff collected up in them.

Usally a good cleaning and inspection of the springs will find the problem.

Check that spring in the driven (big pulley) I've seen new ones pop outta the hole and makes it stick in high.

We like pics. 👍

whizzerwheel

Reaction score
IMG_3360.jpeg
So, here’s what I found. Broken spring which allowed the doohickey pin to get out of its hole. Guess I need a new variator. any recommendations appreciated. Is this thing run completely dry with no lubrication?

BrownStainRacing

Reaction score
View attachment 143361
So, here’s what I found. Broken spring which allowed the doohickey pin to get out of its hole. Guess I need a new variator. any recommendations appreciated. Is this thing run completely dry with no lubrication?
Bend the rod back into place, if it dont break the flyweight.

You can clip off coils, or jus make another hook, and put er back together.

I go get you a pic, it's a ez fix.

Brb.

BrownStainRacing

Reaction score
Here ya go.

Jus use wire cutters to bend a coil out, and hook it back up.

If the belt is engaging too soon, you can clip 1 coil off of each spring to make it engage at a higher rpm. I usally do this for old worn springs.

Your springs look new, so I'm sure it'll be perfectly fine with that 1 coil gone.

Go slap er back together and have some more fun!!!!20231105_142113.jpg20231105_142149.jpg20231105_142213.jpg