check out this engine!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thrasher

Reaction score
yeah, that's what I was trying to figure out... when I went and looked at them, they all have tapered shafts, but there is a TON of stuff that you can get for these motors, so maybe I could figure out something.... they cranked one of them for me and I thought it was just gonna take off haha. I found another website where people use them for homemade helicopters and alot of them are used on hovercrafts.

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
6HP from a 4 cyl? I'm gonna assume that's a typo. :confused:

If you can get one for $150, it doesn't seem too bad. They look like they'd be really easy to use as the mounts are on the bottom. The only thing is the clutch, like you said.

ed1380

Banned
Reaction score
i just got me a dirtbike engine for free. but still for $150. thats how much a clone costs

ZnsaneRyder

Crazy Guy on a Bicycle
Reaction score
The engine looks to be extra heavy duty, and low compression which is probably why the low HP rating for a 4 cylinder. However, the torque must be great, and I would use one for a kart! I imagine more HP isn't hard with 4 cylinders.

modelengineer

Lord of the noise
Reaction score
Just by milling the heads to get more compression I would imagine you could easily get double the power from that engine. Used as is it would outlast ANY kart you put it in.

BTW if you haven't got it yet, GO GET IT! NOW!

It would be awesome to have a kart which looks like a miniature single seater VW Beetle beach buggy, with this engine rear mounted like the original. That would be SO cool.

Thrasher

Reaction score
I'm gonna end up getting it. I still want to check on prices to get the shaft machined or whatever first. They come and go at the place where I found them, so whenever I'm ready for one it'll be there. They had around 10 or so on the shelf... some running, some not.

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
If you can get one of those for $150, you need to do it. I'd have one if it was close-by. There's people using these things for air-boats and ultralights. Many have shaved the pounds down to about 65lbs.
Some guy hooked up a 40"D x 24"P prop and is getting just under 3000 rpm from it, direct drive.
$150 is quite the deal!
....now if we were to send $150 to you plus the cost of shipping...?

Thrasher

Reaction score
....now if we were to send $150 to you plus the cost of shipping...?

Here is the website of the place that sells them... http://partsdart.com/?lbp=1

here's their phone, fax, and address...
(205) 631-4705 (ask for Dennis)
(205) 631-8549 (fax)
2816 Mount Olive Road # Centre, Mount Olive, AL 35117

I'm sure they'll ship them wherever as long as you pay shipping.
If you get in touch with them and they won't do it, then let me know and we may can work something out.

Kenny_McCormic

Kartless....
Reaction score
I'm gonna end up getting it. I still want to check on prices to get the shaft machined or whatever first. They come and go at the place where I found them, so whenever I'm ready for one it'll be there. They had around 10 or so on the shelf... some running, some not.

http://saturnsurplus.com/engine/4cylsft.htm Throw a 1" cent clutch on it.

Also notch the notched pulley on the front of the engine, rope start anyone? By rope start I mean chain the kart to a tree and pull the rope with a lawn tractor.

Scout

Nutjob
Reaction score
If that was a Mighty Mite motor, you'd be on to something.

The mighty Mite was a US military Jeep used in foreign battles. It was powered by an air cooled aluminum v-4.
It weighed about 1700lbs and top speed was 55mph.

Status
Not open for further replies.