Check out this cool rear suspension guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarcynvicnchris93

Reaction score
speaking of your kart

They have great suspension designs, far superior to trailing arms IMHO.

I'm building their Sidewinder buggy and it is going really well.

hey man by the way have you made any progress? or are you back in school and pretty busy?? cuz I know the bit of your kart I did see was freakin sweet..

jarcynvicnchris93

Reaction score
thats for sure

nice. yes.
expensive. yes.
those cv halfshafts cost a fortune

yeah I had no idea they cost that much!!! just looked on desertkarts.com and $%^$# them suckers are high!!! just the hubs and disc brake assy are over $500. so with that discovered I think I will go with a simpler swing arm design.

modelengineer

Lord of the noise
Reaction score
That is exactly why I went with the swingarm too :)

I've been on holiday for a week, but I am starting work on the buggy again tomorrow. I'll finish mounting the engine and probably mount the new oil cooler I got.

Uni starts very late February, I think I will easily have the buggy finished by then.

jarcynvicnchris93

Reaction score
I wonder

i was thinking of using 3/4" u-joints but ive been told that even they wont last

I wonder why??? seems like 3/4" would be pretty beefy. I wonder if any automotive halfshafts or 4X4 application U-joints would hold up??? cuz I know on my front double A arm suspension I am planning on trying to use automotive Ball joints. cuz I bought a Yerf Dog front end from BMI and it did not come with ball joints. Im going to hack up the front end, stretch it a bit so it will be wide enough for my home made kart, and then beef up the A arms, and lengthen the tie rods.

ed1380

Banned
Reaction score
dude auto halfshafts difinitely will hold up. they handle alot more torque than motorcycles put out.

atv halfshafts are a good thing too, but expensive.
i was thinking of taking off the rear ones from a vw passat quattro we got sitting around. too bad modding them for a gokart would cost too much

modelengineer

Lord of the noise
Reaction score
For anything over a 750 you will want to go CV's. Most people use land rover uni joints (beefy) and say that they don't hold up to the shock loading which is experienced in a buggy/kart over 750cc's.

Status
Not open for further replies.