Carter 1708 Jackshaft help

TwoSocks

New member
Messages
8
Reaction score
5
Hello, this is my first post.
My brother and I just picked up a Carter Bro's 1708, and we noticed that it requires a jackshaft, and the entire assembly is missing.
I have a parts diagram of the kart already but can't seem to find the housing, shaft, etc. I don't really want to have to make it myself, but am capable. I've seen a couple other posts that show a similar set up, so here are some pictures.

Diagram/parts list

1000005451.jpg1000005452.jpg1000005453.jpg

My kart

1000005454.jpg1000005455.jpg
 

Edwin Spangler

Well-known member
Messages
1,077
Reaction score
1,073
Its actually really easy to make. Youll need bolt on hardware rather than weld but its all available at the big kart stores online. Once you study into what theyre made up of, you wont need to look for the OEM piece.

I did a bit of searching. Thats something youd be really lucky to find, just not readily available.
 

TwoSocks

New member
Messages
8
Reaction score
5
Its actually really easy to make. Youll need bolt on hardware rather than weld but its all available at the big kart stores online. Once you study into what theyre made up of, you wont need to look for the OEM piece.
I've been eyeing this kit, but I'm trying to decide if it would be worth finding something similar but with a threaded shaft so that I can use pulleys and not all chain sprockets
(i.e 30 series driver + driven as opposed to a chain centrif. clutch, then the sprocket and chain to the axle on the right side)

 

Hellion

Murderator
Messages
9,232
Reaction score
4,206
Go to a CVT and move the sprocket to the other side and ditch the jack shaft all together.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner!

Besides, the parts list clearly shows it came with a Series 40 CVT/Torque Converter.
 

TwoSocks

New member
Messages
8
Reaction score
5
Ding ding ding, we have a winner!

Besides, the parts list clearly shows it came with a Series 40 CVT/Torque Converter.
No, we do not have a winner. Short answer, the sprocket is unmovable, and simply flipping the axle 180° would leave me with the sprocket in the wrong position relative to the engine.

The kart had a 40 series, but it also had a different engine. We're running either a predator 212 or a zhauychingchong 200 (the one currently on the kart)

Upon further inspection, the easiest (not cheapest) route seems to just be an axle swap, for interesting but long winded reasons that I'm sure I will explain soon lol
 

Hellion

Murderator
Messages
9,232
Reaction score
4,206
No, we do not have a winner.

I was referring to the answer that Denny gave. The winning answer is that it should have a torque converter or it's just that he and I agree. I wasn't saying you were the winner here because you're still in the struggle!

May you be victorious, good fella. :cheers2:

Before you give in and give up (making you a loser), be sure to use the fire wrench (MAPP gas torch or propane), penetrating fluid, the mighty ugga-dugga and all the witchcraft and voodoo you can muster, plus mild expletives to get the parts a-part!

We can tell the kart led a hard life shaking hands with or actually as the live-in long-time partner of Mister Rust!
 

TwoSocks

New member
Messages
8
Reaction score
5
I don't have pictures, so it's hard to explain. I know you were referring to Denny's answer.

The axle is split into two pieces and joined by what looks like a differential of sorts, with the sprocket connected to that. This differential piece is broken, seemingly irreplaceable, as well as the sprocket which some have said you have to cut and drill your own holes to fit a new sprocket. This is why I can't relocate the sprocket- the axle is in two pieces and the sprocket is fixed.
Assuming the bearings, differential, sprocket were any good (which they aren't) flipping the axle 180° degrees to avoid the jackshaft leaves me with improper sprocket alignment which can't be fine tuned, and also gets in the way of the engine mount.

This would leave me with a few options to use the original axle.

#1: Find a replacement "differential" or "axle joiner" which holds the sprocket (required) and proceed to create the jackshaft

#2: flip the axle so that the sprocket is on the correct side and then relocate the engine/mount, and then purchase a torque converter instead of the jackshaft
 

Edwin Spangler

Well-known member
Messages
1,077
Reaction score
1,073
Another thing. If you consider flipping the axle... You say the sprocket then doesnt line up, correct? Have you considered where a CVT will line up after mounted to the engine? You dont need to line up the sprocket with the engine's crankshaft, you have to line up the sprocket with the CVT after mounting.
 

TwoSocks

New member
Messages
8
Reaction score
5
These pictures are after attempting to flip the axle. The motor mount is very unusual, it bolts to those two squares and had rubber pieces, I'm assuming to isolate vibration. But you can see where the mount gets in the way of the sprocket

1000005486.jpg1000005489.jpg1000005487.jpg
 

TwoSocks

New member
Messages
8
Reaction score
5
Another thing. If you consider flipping the axle... You say the sprocket then doesnt line up, correct? Have you considered where a CVT will line up after mounted to the engine? You dont need to line up the sprocket with the engine's crankshaft, you have to line up the sprocket with the CVT after mounting.
Yep, the sprocket is behind the driven pulley, but in front of the plate
 

Edwin Spangler

Well-known member
Messages
1,077
Reaction score
1,073
Seeing that cracked hub... Ouch. Find someone to weld that if you cant.

Its looking like the only reasonable option is to build that jackshaft. The other option requires cutting/welding.
 

TwoSocks

New member
Messages
8
Reaction score
5
Seeing that cracked hub... Ouch. Find someone to weld that if you cant.

Its looking like the only reasonable option is to build that jackshaft. The other option requires cutting/welding.
I can weld, but not aluminum.
First off his only viable option is to replace that axle. Then we can talk CVTs and such. To not replace the axle is just foolish.
Probably going to end up replacing it... I like to use what I can, but the way it's set up right now is very limiting. I think I'll part out this axle so someone else can use these seemingly rare parts on their better condition axle.
 
Top