Cable sizing

Rhodey

Reaction score
I have a 24v 240w motor which I believe would make it 10amp. I'm going to be using leisure batteries for the power. Normally batteries use quite thick cables but the cables on the controller I brought from ebay has really thin wires. The controller is rated to 60v 20amp so I'm sure it will work fine. It came with a 6 pin switch for forward, off and reverse but on testing the switch melted and started smoking. What size cables will I need to wire throughout?

Functional Artist

Reaction score
I have a 24v 240w motor which I believe would make it 10amp. I'm going to be using leisure batteries for the power. Normally batteries use quite thick cables but the cables on the controller I brought from ebay has really thin wires. The controller is rated to 60v 20amp so I'm sure it will work fine. It came with a 6 pin switch for forward, off and reverse but on testing the switch melted and started smoking. What size cables will I need to wire throughout?

A 60V controller for a 24V motor? :huh: :smiley_omg:

Again, overvolting is usually not a good idea
...unless you know what your doing

I'm thinkin' you need something like a YK31 (24V 450W) speed controller :thumbsup:

Here is a thread with some info :cheers2:

http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=38841

FYI: electronics have "magic smoke" inside
…& if ya let it out, they usually don't work no more :mad:

So, smokin' & meltin' is always bad :ack2:

As far as wire/cable size
...I usually "match" or use the same size wires, that the factory used :cool:

Usually ~10g. wire for the big "power wires" (power in, from the battery pack & power out, to the motor)
…& ~18g. for the smaller "signal wires" (to activate functions like on/off & reverse)