budget wooden go-kart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_mcrib212

Inmate #2148
Reaction score
I am building a wooden go-kart with a wood I have laying around my house and a predator and a live axle kit from amazon and I hope that it will go 40mph

mckutzy

Reaction score
Hello and welcome....
We greatly advise NOT to build wooden karts.... YA its been done... and people have lived, and other people have darn near been killed....

A member from Chile, a number of years ago made a wooden kart, out of some local hardwood.
He was almost ridden off the road and bailed harshly, broke his kart.. he had a brake setup from a motorcycle and was pretty reinforced... he did live however... but could have rode off a cliff.....and aparentlly was pretty close to...
Point being... Find something and fix that up, bolt together and wooden karts ar not as strong as welded and braced designs....

Mr_mcrib212

Inmate #2148
Reaction score
the main reason I am building this is that I want something I can go fast in that is cheap and doesn't require a welder mainly because I don't have one :I

Bansil

Painter of gnomes....
Reaction score
Choose wood wisely, 1st cars were wood....BUT didnt go 40 mph lol

I have seen them built with wood frames BUT they used 3/4 inch plywood sides to make a body which tied everything together

Wear PPE....and I dont mean a kung-flu mask....take video also...ugh....skip last bit, have a reliable friend take video, give them your password.....just in case....so we can see epic video :roflol:

Mr_mcrib212

Inmate #2148
Reaction score
ok, this will officially be the world's sketchiest go-kart and I might put a stage 1 predator 212 and a torque converter and be just enough to rip that plywood apart 10hp wood kart

Mr_mcrib212

Inmate #2148
Reaction score

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 AM ----------

mckutzy

Reaction score
Have to upload it... not the file name of where...

Bansil jests... but in serious we dont encourage this practice...

Mr_mcrib212

Inmate #2148
Reaction score
How long will my predator 212 last

I just bought a brand new predator 212 from harbor freight for my wooden go-kart and I'm wondering how long it will last.

mckutzy

Reaction score
I think the better question is.. How long is a piece of string????...

Dont worry about the longevity of the motor... Just dont abuse it and it wont do bad things..

anickode

Reaction score
Sheesh, in stock form, taken care of with routine oil changes and kept out of the weather, you should EASILY get 2000+ hours of run time.

That's 10,000+ miles of go karting.

The rest of your go kart and your body will wear out long before the engine does.

Status
Not open for further replies.