broaching a keyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Job05

Reaction score
so, at home i can mill a keyway into an axle but i do not have a specific boraching machine. i wonder if it's OK(or healthy) for a machine like a drillpress or a mill to use a broaching tool to broach a keyway for a sprocket hub.

answers are always appreciated.

mckutzy

Reaction score
A broached internal keyway is pressed in, no turning is nessisary... There is a guid plug that fits the bore... But a good arbor press will do... Any press that is easilly controllable, along with plenty of lube...

Job05

Reaction score
i thought that pressing and no turning would speak for itself :)
but if i understand, it will not do any harm when i put a broaching tool in e.g. a mill or a drillpress and then press it down?

mckutzy

Reaction score
I would think is possible if the quill can be locked, but the tool needs to be press into upon... So as where you are going to apply pressure is a better question...

Here's a broach tool, with the bushings, shims...

Job05

Reaction score
i would mount the broach in the drill chuck and then press down with the lever used to lower the quill, and if that's not enough i can put a longer tube over it for more leverage.

mckutzy

Reaction score
The broach as far as I know, needs to be loose when pressed, as its a one way tool only.
So when its setup, itll go through on a pass, a shim added, through a pass, shim(s) added..ect. till required depth....
The withdrawal of the tool will likely dull or potentially break the tool in the work piece....

anickode

Reaction score
I seriously doubt a drill press is designed to apply the kind of pressure required for broaching. It might work, or you might wind up ruining your drill press.

A manual arbor press really isn't that expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.