Briggs Rototiller 5hp Clutch

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbaumgartner1000

Reaction score
Hi, I have recently just finished Building a gokart I designed, it runs on a 5-hp briggs and Stratton rototiller engine (model no. 135202-0132-01) It is extremely fast. I have a clutch already on it, it is a centrifugal clutch with 12 teeth that uses #35 chain. It is connected to a 45 tooth drive on the axle. When I start the engine and get the engine going, when I get to about a third of the power, the chain always will fall off. The clutch has been smoking sometimes too. The clutch shakes alot, and we believe it is the clutch tourqing the chain off. The chain is taunt, and should be coming off. Everything else works wonderfully except that, what should I do?

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Check for alignment of the chain, 12/45 is a pretty high ratio, thats why your clutch is smoking. Also check for side to side play on the sprocket and clutch.

brendonv

Reaction score
should have a lot of slack in the chain, also check for alignment. 2mm out and it will come off so it has to be perfect. And yes 3.75:1 is very high and will destroy your clutch in no time.

BradenM

Etre Et Durer.
Reaction score
If I may interject, it is my opinion (which I have learned from somewhere I cannot recall and therefore have to record it as opinion and not fact) that about 1/8th of an inch in movement is desirable.

Of course it could be 1 inch of movement and I may or may not be using drugs.

tbaumgartner1000

Reaction score
Whoops

Yeah you guys were right, the chain was loose.
Unfortunatly I tightened the chain too much and the clutch died (spectacularly)

It was very fast and cool
I will be getting another clutch soon. Question, do I need to get a nicer clutch or just the same type with a slighty looser chain on it?

kart_racer20

Reaction score
the clutch sounds like a max-tork the 12 tooth clutch will work but i'd go with a bigger gear because if you go too low of a gear on the back sprocket it will burn your clutch up again and you'll over rev your motor and break the rod sending it out the block unless it has an arc rod in it. i know this from expirence with racing karts i hope this help some

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
Check your chain, or just replace it to be sure.) Worn chains will climb right off of new sprockets when they're run at proper tension. Chains are pretty cheap on ebay. What size are the rear tires? A 12/45 ratio is a bit tall for low-speed or hilly terrain, but for the street and flats, I'd keep it.

Status
Not open for further replies.