Briggs 900 Series Governor

GHM

New member
Messages
3
Reaction score
3
I’m looking to use this engine for a mini bike but do not know the first thing about governors… so I’m hoping someone here can offer me useful advice. I’d like to fully bypass or remove it if possible. And if that is something that can be done, how would I hook up a throttle cable?
Thanks in advance,
Gavin
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6

Hellion

Murderator
Messages
9,232
Reaction score
4,207
Read this:


Of course it can be done (removed) and adjusted for higher RPM. It's not a rev limiter either.
 

Hellion

Murderator
Messages
9,232
Reaction score
4,207
More info:


I think you essentially have a "civilian version" of Briggs Animal, a plain vanilla Intek.
 

GHM

New member
Messages
3
Reaction score
3
Read this:


Of course it can be done (removed) and adjusted for higher RPM. It's not a rev limiter either.
If I do remove it, would I have issues with high idling? I read somewhere this is a possibility but am unsure of its credibility.
 

Hellion

Murderator
Messages
9,232
Reaction score
4,207
If I do remove it, would I have issues with high idling? I read somewhere this is a possibility but am unsure of its credibility.

No, not if you adjust your carburetor correctly. Never heard of this happening as a direct consequence of removing the governor, but then again, the interwebz gives absolute idiots a voice for spreading their false information. That's the genius of Doc Sprocket's article title, "..An Internet Full Of Crap".

With the governor removed, it's up to you to ensure that there is a strong return spring attached to the throttle and that it is always trying to close the throttle with spring pressure. When you release the grip (minibike, right?) it should go back to idle.
 

GHM

New member
Messages
3
Reaction score
3
No, not if you adjust your carburetor correctly. Never heard of this happening as a direct consequence of removing the governor, but then again, the interwebz gives absolute idiots a voice for spreading their false information. That's the genius of Doc Sprocket's article title, "..An Internet Full Of Crap".

With the governor removed, it's up to you to ensure that there is a strong return spring attached to the throttle and that it is always trying to close the throttle with spring pressure. When you release the grip (minibike, right?) it should go back to idle.
Thank you for the advice, I got springs hooked up to where to takes it back to idle when the lever is let go. This is how it sits now.IMG_5443.jpeg
 
Top