briggs 5hp TILLOTSON CARB

Status
Not open for further replies.

BAMBY

MINI BIKER
Reaction score
ok, so i see a few people talking about having a tillotson carb on their briggs 5hp's and im wondering what the purpose of it is.

1. why put a tillotson on in the first place?

2. what model tillotson is used?

thanks,
BAMBY

oscaryu1

Reaction score
Tillotson is more headed in the "racing" type of Briggs 5HP - more gas flow, better throttle response... more RPMs...

A stock carburetor can only take you so far - 5000-6500RPM? A Tillotson will most likely break the 8000 barrier.

Tillotsons are more popular on Flat Heads (Briggs & Stratton, ect) and Mikuni's are more popular on Clones/Hondas.

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
Tillys are a great improvement over the stock B/S carbs, just from their quality of fuel/air delivery. Depending on the model, a Tilly can give you Low/High mixture adjustments and some have built-in fuel pumps, which allow you to locate the tank to a better spot if you prefer.

BAMBY

MINI BIKER
Reaction score
thanks for the qwik replies guys!

@Oscaryu1 does the pulsajet carb for b/s 5hp limit it to 5-6grand rpm? cant you just richen it up a little?
ive done most of your mods on your sticky, and it has landed me 5226rpm max by my tachometer. pretty good. but i think with my stock valve train, its limiting me (valves are floating).

@JerryAssburger does the tillys with a pump in them work like the diaphragm pump in the briggs pulsajet carbs? or is it different like the aftermarket ones that opperate off crankcase pressure pulses?

ANYBODY know of a tilly model# thats good on a briggs 5hp?

i read about another guy on the oldminibikes forum that had a tilly but it was overkill so it would flood the cylinder unless he gave it some throttle. his model # was HL375A

Status
Not open for further replies.