briggs 5hp race engine and tav2? need some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

greasemonkey85

Reaction score
hi guys, first thread here. let me elaborate a little. i race go karts and have been for 2 years. i race on dirt and will be switching to a briggs animal class next year so that opens up my flat head for a yard kart. i have a old macadam kart and will be starting with that. i live on 2 acres of open land kinda hilly. so here is my question.... i run a controlled stock flathead. makes about 10 to 15 hp (bored .035 over, 265 lift cam, carb bored, advanced timing, head and deck shaved, billet rod, and run methanol) when i race (1/8th mile) i turn it 8000 to 8500 rpms. now i know this is plenty of shwoop, but i want to be maxed out at the end of my yard (longest stretch is about 1000 feet) i will be running 15" tires and starting with my 12 tooth tomar racing clutch and a 78 rear sprocket. i would like to get a TAV 2 but i am unsure if i can turn the motor 8000 rpm with it on there. i cant really find any info for a max rpm except somewhere i seen some one said 7000. i tried calling comet today but it just rang. any ideas? will this be a good setup? i want to be able to blow donuts and do burn outs if i can! sorry for the long thread and thanks dan

anderkart

Reaction score
Hey greasemonkey, that sounds like a Kool kart!

I'm not sure about RPM limits but I'd think these would be designed for 2-strokes that rev even higher. Thing is, I just noticed that TAV2 is only rated for up to 8-h/p engines. It might work out fine but I got a feeling your going to be pushing this kart pretty hard. I think I'd be considering a 40-series. Here's Comets contact info, I'd suggest giving-em a shout for their opinion: http://www.hoffcocomet.com/comet/contact-comet.asp

greasemonkey85

Reaction score
yeah i called mfg supply today and they said that comet is closed for the week. so i ll try next week. i am going to get started on the frame this week and wont really have the motor till october after this years racing season is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.