Best replacement for a Briggs and Stratton 5HP - trying to KISS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dane

Reaction score
My neighbor (I'll deal with him later..) gave my 12-year old a go cart. Nice, thanks very much.

Briggs and Stratton 135212 5HP with a completely rusted out gas tank, pulsa-jet carb that looks like a YAK threw up in it, etc.

So... standard hole pattern I guess, 3/4 keyed shaft, etc.

Trying to replace this has proven to be quite the ordeal. I live in the eastern panhandle of WV, near Washington D.C., tractor supply has what seem to be suitable engines, the issue appears to be the throttle hook up, I'm not even into governors yet...

advice here? I stumbled upon the suburu based EX17 but in drop shipping an engine I have to make sure I can use the thing without serious modifications.

What is the consensus w/r to locally available that I would modify or... what do I order?

Thanks in advance,

Father of a very anxious 12-year old

THE HUNTER

"Ghetto Rigging Expert"
Reaction score
did you look into Honda clones? (or is that what you saw at Tractor Supply?) if the mounting pattern and shaft size fit, you can fairly easily and cheaply rig up a throttle connection. thats usually the easy part.

using a 6.5HP Honda clone (Harbor Freight carries these cheap, $100-160ish) would give the kart a little better acceleration (always more fun) then the original 5HP engine. they are cheap, and from what everyone on this forum says, very reliable and rugged.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=66015

lemegacool

got boost? :)
Reaction score
did you look into Honda clones? (or is that what you saw at Tractor Supply?) if the mounting pattern and shaft size fit, you can fairly easily and cheaply rig up a throttle connection. thats usually the easy part.

using a 6.5HP Honda clone (Harbor Freight carries these cheap, $100-160ish) would give the kart a little better acceleration (always more fun) then the original 5HP engine. they are cheap, and from what everyone on this forum says, very reliable and rugged.

+1 to that and i looked you mistsubishi engine and it looks like a honda clone... so buy a hf clone or the mitsu it's rediculously easy to hook up!

and in the case you have any difficulties installing it post here and we will help you!

Dane

Reaction score
Great - this is the feedback I thought I'd get...

so... this engine at HF

is the ticket I presume... shaft diameter etc., looks correct, is the shaft tapped to receive the bolt that holds the centrifugal clutch in place? I just read the .pdf manual at HF and it looks like the 'central thread' is just right... looks like this is the ticket

Regards,

DWConnell

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
My neighbor (I'll deal with him later..) gave my 12-year old a go cart. Nice, thanks very much.

Whats that supposed to mean? "i'll deal with him later? you cant complain when something is free...

either way check craigslist, you may find a deal, then if no luck a honda clone would be the way to go.

modelengineer

Lord of the noise
Reaction score
I think he was being sarcasting, lol! (Although it's very hard to tell over the internet)

Best replacement for Briggs 5? Motorbike engine, defs. 100-125cc makes about 7-10hp? and you get a nice gearbox as well.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
I think he was being sarcasting, lol! (Although it's very hard to tell over the internet)

Best replacement for Briggs 5? Motorbike engine, defs. 100-125cc makes about 7-10hp? and you get a nice gearbox as well.

I agree, but most people dont have the balls to do that haha, i've stopped giving advice to get MC or sled engines for karts. Everyone always says they would rather go the simple route.

THE HUNTER

"Ghetto Rigging Expert"
Reaction score
I agree, but most people dont have the balls to do that haha, i've stopped giving advice to get MC or sled engines for karts. Everyone always says they would rather go the simple route.

right, a clone would be easier to put on.

and i assume that because his son is anxious, this is prob his first kart. its prob better that its not too fast lol.

Pellethuntr2

Machinist
Reaction score
I was just at my local Tractor Supply and I found out that they carry Honda engines not clones but the REAL DEAL. They are not that much more money and It will probably last longer not to menchin parts would be easier to get.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
I was just at my local Tractor Supply and I found out that they carry Honda engines not clones but the REAL DEAL. They are not that much more money and It will probably last longer not to menchin parts would be easier to get.

Honda clones use the same parts as the genuine hondas...

Kenny_McCormic

Kartless....
Reaction score
Sidecover and bearing is different(but block and crank are interchangeable), flywheel design is different but they interchange, pistons are different but they interchange.

$400 is a lot more than $150 where I come from.

Dane

Reaction score
Thanks for replies...

I was only being sarcastic - fact is he's a great friend.

I ended up getting a Techumsah for 200.00 with all necessary hardware, etc, for a fast hookup. I'm sure the Honda would have been a 'better' engine but all in all I'm sure this will suffice. I'm pretty sure this will simply be a learning platform and we can pass it to the nephews when we're ready to move on to something else.. fact is though... my Triumph TR6 may well be my son's next go cart.

DWC

Status
Not open for further replies.