APC UPS Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluxcored

Reaction score
I can get my hand on a couple of these 12V sealed batteries but do'nt freaking know how to recharge them when they're flat.

Will an ordinary 12V car battery charger do??

ed1380

Banned
Reaction score
no. since they're sealed you have to charge them slowly. up to 500 milli amps per hour

fluxcored

Reaction score
Thought so - my charger has got a ...... turbo button and warned me against using it on those type of bats.

Any suggestions on how I can recharge them? Can I use a power supply unit rated at 12V and 500mA?

Kenny_McCormic

Kartless....
Reaction score
Yes, be careful though, my moped battery is sealed and I put it on a 130 amp starter box without thinking to charge, half hour later POW, acid everywhere.

oscaryu1

Reaction score
You can revive these batteries?! Seriously??

I've come across about 2 dead ones... with the APCs. Are they revivable?

ed1380

Banned
Reaction score
try trikkle chargin. most likely not. ive been in the same mess. found 2 12v batts from a jump booster

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
Can I use a power supply unit rated at 12V and 500mA?

The voltage needed to charge a battery usually needs to be a little bit over what the rated voltage of the battery is so that the proper reverse chemical reaction can take place. I would aim for maybe about a 14V power source and use a low resistance, high wattage resistor, maybe like .2 ohms or so at 10 watts. If it's working, the resistor will get warm at the beginning of the charge and will cool down as the battery reaches a full charge.

I actually found a schematic online to build a simple battery charger circuit that you connect the battery to, push a button and it automatically charges it and turns off when it's done. I have the parts collected to build it but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
You can revive these batteries?! Seriously??

I've come across about 2 dead ones... with the APCs. Are they revivable?

I wish it was easy to revive them. We get rid of a lot of UPS's with 12V, 7Ah batteries in them at work. Usually the battery is so gone that they don't hold enough of a charge to keep the PC powered on when the power goes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.