Anyone try PWM controller?

Functional Artist

Reaction score
I still had fun playing with this stuff and learned a little at the same time. I won't give up on electric, I'll just delay it until the electric stuff gets easier and cheaper. I believe it took Edison several attempts to make a working light bulb. Yeah, no comparison!
Yup, I had many failures before any success :cheers2:

Here is my !ARRIBA! kart with proper speed controller(s) :popcorn:
...& yes, they are PWM controller(s)

FYI:
!ARRIBA! is motivated by (2) 48V 1,000W motors (equivalent to ~1.5HP total)
...& powered by (4) 12V 12AH SLA batteries

* Now, compare the performance of !ARRIBA!, to a "gas" powered kart with a 1.5HP engine :devil2:

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Go away Kevin, he is firmly ours now back on the side of good and light! :lolgoku:
If the engine pto shaft is a little too long you can just cut some off. For a machinist like you that should be a breeze with all them fancy tools. Or I could just loan you my hacksaw. :roflol:

Master Hack

Reaction score
yeah, l get the elctric thing, but unless l can do it cheap, it ain’t happening. This electric stuff isn’t cheap and freebies are rare ’round here.
the motor shaft dilemma is just the opposite. The shaft on the clone motor l want to use is too short. The TC parts hang off the end of the shaft. Now l could make a shaft extension, but that would move everything out away from the motor about an inch, requiring spacers between the motor and the TC plate. Sumpthin just don’t seem right.

Electric stuff is fun to play with, but l don’t take electric cars seriously.
82A86096-C1F8-4BF0-AA53-19F4F5AFF970.jpeg

Functional Artist

Reaction score
yeah, l get the elctric thing, but unless l can do it cheap, it ain’t happening. This electric stuff isn’t cheap and freebies are rare ’round here.

Electric stuff is fun to play with, but l don’t take electric cars seriously.
View attachment 134514
The "problem" most folks run into with building an electric powered kart is they try to convert a big/huge/heavy kart
...& then, to make matters worse, these type karts usually have big wheels.

So, the motor & controller have to be sized accordingly
...& the gear ratio (including big wheels) too (if it's too high the motor or controller WILL get over loaded & FAIL)
...& also, the weight (lets add a couple of hundred lbs. of batteries)

All of these things have to be accounted for, to be successful :thumbsup:
...& the same :issues" holds true for ICE (internal combustion engine) vehicles too

Here is another example of an electric kart :cheers2:

This one is called ElTurbo :sifone:

It runs normally on a little 450W 24V motor & controller (Yes, that is less than (1) HP) :2guns:
...but, I added a DIY "electric turbo" (that gives 'er a 36V "boost" at the flick of a switch) ;)

Master Hack

Reaction score
The "problem" most folks run into with building an electric powered kart is they try to convert a big/huge/heavy kart
...& then, to make matters worse, these type karts usually have big wheels.
There is the problem. The "naughtagator" project is intended as a yard truck. its a flatbed heavy POS for hauling stuff around the "ranch", not a go fast kart. I used gearing 24:1 which proved to be about right. It actually works, if you don't mind driving around WOT with no speed control or practical way of shutting it off. It was just ON when the PWM failed. So, I'll save the hardware for another project for a later date.

Master Hack

Reaction score
Go away Kevin, he is firmly ours now back on the side of good and light! :lolgoku:
If the engine pto shaft is a little too long you can just cut some off. For a machinist like you that should be a breeze with all them fancy tools. Or I could just loan you my hacksaw. :roflol:
So if the shaft were to be cut, the threaded hole in the shaft would also be cut off as well, right?
Then what? The dreaded “weld that f****r”?
Not the case here, just curious.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
You just drill the hole and tap deeper in the center of the shaft before you cut off the needed amount off the end of the shaft. Easy.

Master Hack

Reaction score
You just drill the hole and tap deeper in the center of the shaft before you cut off the needed amount off the end of the shaft. Easy.
Yeah, maybe. You'll have to hand drill it or take the crank out and use a lathe. I can just picture some "less experienced" young people breaking a tap off in the end of the crankshaft!!!o_O

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
We have had many people successfully perform this modification. Dremmels to make slots in shafts for keys. Files to make slots for keys in sprockets. Sometimes you have to resort to the old ways if you don’t have a machine shop. You just need to take a little more care when doing it and use lots of Tap-Magic. That’s all.

Master Hack

Reaction score
I understand that, where there is a will there is a way. I’ve done plenty of stuff the hard way in my younger days as l’m sure you have. Some times the hard way leads to sketchy workmanship with disastrous results. (PVC and wood frames for example)
Us seasoned citizens just prefer to see things done the right way the first time. I hate repairing something where l settled for good enough only to find out its not.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
I understand that, where there is a will there is a way. I’ve done plenty of stuff the hard way in my younger days as l’m sure you have. Some times the hard way leads to sketchy workmanship with disastrous results. (PVC and wood frames for example)
Us seasoned citizens just prefer to see things done the right way the first time. I hate repairing something where l settled for good enough only to find out its not.
That’s how you get an education and learn what doesn’t work though.

Master Hack

Reaction score
I have a PHD from that school! Now l have time, more patients, better tools and a better attitude. The dissapointment on the kids face when the go kart won’t go, is a motivator for me!