Anyone try new Hobart StickMate LX 300AC/200DC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Br@ndoM@n

Dude with a gokart, a MIG
Messages
88
Reaction score
4
Location
New Mexico (Not Dirty Poor Mexico, NO HABLA ESPANO
Hey all just wondering if anyone has got there hands on a new Hobart Stickmate LX 300AC / 200DC stick welder yet.

Not the 205AC or 235AC/Dc model.

I tried looking online for who has it the cheapest but doesnt look like ANY one has them in stock yet.

Anyone know of any companies that have any in stock yet?

Just in case anyone hasnt fiigured it out the new model puts out 300 amps on AC and up tp 200 AMPS DC.

I have heard nothing but great things about the 235AC/DC model so I hope this higher output kicks as much *** and they fixed the minore things like cheap plastic crank.
 

r97

Measure twice cut once
Messages
3,793
Reaction score
8
Location
Massachusetts, USA
It is incorrectly labeled, but here it is.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200575889_200575889 Are you planning to buy this or are you just looking. If you are planning to buy...

If you have that much money for a welder I think you could spend much better. You could get a huge MIG or TIG welder, new or off craigslist. Or you could get a new, smaller stick welder and a Hobart Handler 140 and still have money for a gas bottle. For most go kart, and even 4x4 applications you would probably be just fine with a Hobart Handler 140.

Have you welded before? What do you plan on welding?
 

Br@ndoM@n

Dude with a gokart, a MIG
Messages
88
Reaction score
4
Location
New Mexico (Not Dirty Poor Mexico, NO HABLA ESPANO
I already own a HH140. Im just planning for my next welder purchase. was looking at getting the 235ac/dc till this came out. When im ready the price should drop a bit. I want a stick welder before I buy a big MIG. I already have my big MIG picked out too. lol

I purchased my HH140 from Northern Tool.

HH140 has been good to me so far but I also want something rated to weld thicker metal if I want to and that stickmate can do 1/2" on single pass. My lil HH140 is rated for 1/4" even though I have welded thicker with it with multipass.

I do more than just gokart stuff.
 

r97

Measure twice cut once
Messages
3,793
Reaction score
8
Location
Massachusetts, USA
Why do you want a stick welder? Do you do farm or construction work? I think that for general metal fabrication where you are working out of a shop (not moving to job sites) getting an industrial sized MIG (MillerMatic 252?) would be much better. I think if you sold your HH140 and added that to the $900 for the stick welder you could get a very nice machine of craigslist. The other thing I would suggest is a larger TIG machine which can also weld stick. Miller syncrowave, dynasty, and maxstar (DC only) would fall into that category, among others.
 

Br@ndoM@n

Dude with a gokart, a MIG
Messages
88
Reaction score
4
Location
New Mexico (Not Dirty Poor Mexico, NO HABLA ESPANO
I wouldnt sell my lil HH140. Dont want a TIG machine have no use for it and if I ever wanted to do TIG i can do it with a stickmate.

I want a stick welder for thicker stuff. plan would be have the hh140 for if I need to weld somewhere without access to a 220v outlet and thinner stuff then use the stick welder for thicker stuff.

I already built a bumper with my buddy for his truck with the hh140 and worked great but be nice to weld some thick plate for things like rock sliders and skid HD skidplates and stuff.

I know a lil 110v machine is plenty for gokart building.

When I get my big machine I was looking at either the IronMan 230 or the Lincoln 256 (300amp) depending on what my budget is gonna be like when I decide. I like the IronMan cause its alotta welder for the price but I like the Lincoln because of the 50 extra amps and that is amperage is infanite control instead of pre set taps.

I looked at welders on craigslist for my area and nothing that interest me. Either people are selling cheapo welders for almost as much as it is new or big old 800# welder gen sets that are way more than I need.

I mean Im not gonna spend $400 wire feed and I dont need a $8000 welder.

I do want to take some class at hobart or lincoln school when I visit my mother in Ohio too.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top