Alumiweld Welding Rods

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketkart

Active member
Messages
1,154
Reaction score
17
Location
florida
have any of you guys ever used this stuff? im thinking of useing it to building a rc airboat hull but dont know whats it like. Weld aluminum with any low temperature torch - even a propane torch. These aluminum welding rods are harder than mild steel which results in minimized parent material distortion during welding. You’ll also get a stronger weld than the parent aluminum material without flux or other welding material. http://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece-low-temperature-aluminum-welding-rods-44810.html
 

rmm727

New member
Messages
621
Reaction score
9
Location
Brookville, PA
I got something like that at a swap meet one time. Saw the guy use a propane torch and "weld" (more like braze or solder) two pop cans together. Was harder than he made it look but once I practiced a little, I could do it too. Never tried it on anything substantial. Still think I have a couple of those rods left.
 

Von Psycho

New member
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Location
Ontario, Canada
I also saw the pop can weld and bought some rod years ago,
it worked excellent, the main deal is to clean the aluminum
thoroughly and when filling holes ream with a drill to create
a tapered hole and concentrate the heat on the parent metal
and not the rod,
much like soldering.
 

Von Psycho

New member
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Location
Ontario, Canada
I might add that I started a bolt (steel) to make a dam at the bottom of the hole.
The new metal can be drilled and tapped for a crisp hard thread.
 

wagx2

New member
Messages
127
Reaction score
0
Location
Lexington NC
have tried 2 different brands, may work on small holes but when I tried using it on a tube about 2'' in dia. I could get it to start and every time I would get around to opp side the heat would transfer back to the starting point and it would become running and run off what had just been done, its more of a one spot use, and had no luck with propane had to use map gas which burns hotter, so if your blazing up cans get it, or filling hole where you can keep it where it needs to be it will work but using as a weld etc.. I wouldn't drive anything where it was used to hold in major component. so solder or fill in stripped bolt holes go for it:thumbsup: weld or even associating the word weld with the use of it. get your helmets knee and elbow pads and a body wrap, and call me :popcorn: I want to watch.:lolgoku:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top