Air Comppressor ?s

Status
Not open for further replies.

pearl111

Reaction score
I have a small electric 6 gal. pancake style air compressor (portal-cable). When I finish working on my projects and head in for the night I always make sure to let all the air out of the compressor for thinking that if I leave air in the tank this might damage something. I'm I wasting my time doing this? Should I only do this if I am away for a few days? And during the winter time? I don't no why but it worries me to leave the tank and hose under pressure.

Also some time in the future someone will hand me down a larger commercial size air compressor. Should I always release the air from that tank also? I don't have a lot of fancy expensive tools but I try to take care and maintain what I do have. Thanks DIY.

Whitetrashrocker

Inmate #952016
Reaction score
Despite what the manual says. I leave mine on all the time. I use it often though. I drain the muck out of the drain maybe once a year.

At the shop there is a valve at the tank to shop lines that gets turned off and the main breaker is turned off daily. This is cause the newer air chuck's suck and leak. The drain again about once a year.

Have never had an issue other than mentioned. Burn out cheap compressors (oilless)before anything else.

Nosandwich

The REAL Poboy
Reaction score
I agree. I leave air in mine all the time. Been using air compressors for 40 years. But, depending on the humidity, you may need to drain the tank in as little as 2 weeks.

Air doesn't hurt them, but water can rust out the tanks.

pearl111

Reaction score
Thanks this helps a lot . I remember now about 2 years ago I found a little drain plug on the bottom of the tank and opened it and about 2 cups of rusty water drained out. My stupidity for not thinking to do that regularly. I will now. THANKS AGAIN.

anickode

Reaction score
If you run your compressor a lot, like doing sandblasting, lots of air tools, etc, you should be draining the moisture daily, particularly if you live in humid areas.

Throw away the crappy little petcock drain valve and put a ball valve on there.

Nosandwich

The REAL Poboy
Reaction score
If you run your compressor a lot, like doing sandblasting, lots of air tools, etc, you should be draining the moisture daily, particularly if you live in humid areas.

Throw away the crappy little petcock drain valve and put a ball valve on there.

Prolly not room on a 6 gal Porter Cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.