A few Quick Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkstar64

Reaction score
Just a few quesitons about car starters I've seen the convertions for them on this site and how to do it does this improve the overall run time or is it just the same 30 seconds ? I'm trying to make it go around a hour of ride time can I add some stuff to keep the drawing of the amps down also I was planing to drill holes in both the back and front of the starter to allow a little airflow as well as maby in the sides not sure about that one any help guys on the use of the starter im using it for a electric scooter thats going to go around 25-30 mph ?

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
Lets just say that using starters for motorized projects is still highly uncharted ground. They're difficult to use in that They're not made for what we want to put them through. They have to be modified not only electrically, but also physically so that they'll work with what you want it to. This is not to discourage you from using one, by all means, experiment! I have yet to use a starter for something myself. The hardest part of it all is probably finding a way to interface it to the rest of the drive mechanism whether it be by gears or sprockets.

Your idea of drilling holes in the casing for better airflow sounds like a good one, just make sure you don't disrupt the structure to a point where it'll become flimsy.

Darkstar64

Reaction score
I plan on only drilling a few on the outside casing but more towards the 2 ends on the end caps I will not be using sprockets due to the power of the starters it would be better using belt drive for testing then maby after I make a curcuit for a motor control go to a sprocket I do have the machines to modify the starter I will probly make new bearing's in our machine shop since the ones in it our not ment for the long run as I asked before do you know anything that will stop the current drain of the batteries so that they can last a little longer I know the starter pulls alot from the batteries I will be using 2 12v marine batteries hopefully

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
I don't think you could make them suck less power without affecting the motor's output. The only thing that'll control the current is basically the speed controller and it depends on how efficient that is.

Darkstar64

Reaction score
Ok thanks alot also one more quick question and I should be done can the original bearing's handle the constant spinning or will they wear to quickly ? and how long do you think the starter will last will it be good for a pretty long time if its setup right and it has enough cooling ?

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
If it's setup right and has good cooling, I think it would be ok. I would worry about the bearings though as they're usually sleeve bearings in starters.

Status
Not open for further replies.