6.0 hp too much

Status
Not open for further replies.

lark72sb350

New member
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
My question, is a 6.0 hp Tecumseh motor too much for a 50# child on a single seat go kart.

The kart in question is an old single seat Manco that we found on the side of the road. I have cleaned it up an now am looking to get a motor for it. I wanted a 3.5hp but no one makes them anymore and I found a deal on 6hp.

What is the best size motor for a begining karter
 

oscaryu1

New member
Messages
2,767
Reaction score
7
Govern it town. Either just put a block of wood or something so the throttle doesn't go all the way, or get a torque conveter... (More torque, less speed).

Either way, 6HP can go around 35-40 if geared correctly. (I had a 3.5HP go 35).

-- eBay has many Briggs & Stratton 2HP's for sale. Might wanna check those out..
 

ironman

I'm Back!
Messages
906
Reaction score
2
Location
kentucky
Govern it town. Either just put a block of wood or something so the throttle doesn't go all the way, or get a torque conveter... (More torque, less speed).

Either way, 6HP can go around 35-40 if geared correctly. (I had a 3.5HP go 35).

-- eBay has many Briggs & Stratton 2HP's for sale. Might wanna check those out..

just as oscary said.or just gear that motor down also what size of tire or you going to have on there
 

oscaryu1

New member
Messages
2,767
Reaction score
7
Hmm... take back that torque converter comment. Unless it doens't have overdrive, then get it. Overdrive is just like... a car's overdrive option.

Another problem is that since you reduce the RPM's, you'll most likely burn up your clutch.
 

ironman

I'm Back!
Messages
906
Reaction score
2
Location
kentucky
have never used the torgue converter setup alot of money.dont know if i would be happy with it compare to a clutch.
 

lark72sb350

New member
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
I think I will try to use a 10 tooth clutch and a 72 tooth sprocket. The tire is a 4.1/3.5 on a 5 inch rim.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top