5hp for a 10hp

Status
Not open for further replies.

foster2484

Reaction score
im taking off the 5hp briggs motor on my cart and replacing it with a 10hp briggs. anything i should know when doing this? will i get alot more low end or top end power???

BradenM

Etre Et Durer.
Reaction score
Its the source of ongoing debate. If you did remove the governor, would you be doing any other performance enhancing modifications? If not then it shouldn't be a problem.

If I were you though, I'd just gear it taller. Make use of all the extra power you just got.

foster2484

Reaction score
well right now i have a 12clutch and two sprockets (60&72) with my 5hp the are #35 chain. i want to stay with the #35chain. but should i get a 10 or 12 tooth chutch? and is a 72tooth sprocket tall enough? sorry for all the questions kinda new

BradenM

Etre Et Durer.
Reaction score
At your max Governed RPM (Est. 3600) with 14'' rear wheels, and having a 12 tooth clutch and 60 tooth sprocket you should reach 30mph. With the 10 tooth clutch it's 25mph.

You could probably spare the power to gear it down to about 50 tooth rear sprocket, for a top speed of 36mph with the 12 tooth clutch, or 30 with the 10 tooth. Even 45 tooth rear sprocket would be permissible, to get you 40mph with the 12 tooth clutch or with 10 tooth 33mph.

http://www.diygokarts.com/speed-calculator.html

Braden.

Status
Not open for further replies.