3.5hp Kart dubbed "Bleeding Ears"

Status
Not open for further replies.

modelengineer

Lord of the noise
Reaction score

Can you guess why it's named "Bleeding Ears"? The exhaust on this old Tecumseh 2-stroke rusted through so I welded up a bit of pipe I had lying around. Yes, I know the 90 degree bend is not good, but this has so little power anyway I don't think it makes much difference, it certainly hasn't quieted it down. IT'S LOUD!. Also bypassed the governor for a bit more speed!

Most of it was built in 1 week of the holidays and the finishing touches done in the first 2 weeks of school.
Office chair is very comfortable, but I placed the steering wheel on before the chair, so its a bit low but you can still turn to full lock.
25 degrees castor, 5 degrees king pin angle, and 0 degrees camber make it handle very well. Live axle with a manual belt clutch which worked flawlessly.
No brakes as yet, going to add a handbrake to do handbrake turns.
Top speed was around 35-40kph at an earsplitting 5000 RPM.

Last edited:

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
haha, you've got an opposite-to-normal spinning engine, eh? I had one of those once. turn that exhaust down! Not up! :) cool pic.

modelengineer

Lord of the noise
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments guys.

Robert, I would have had the exhaust pointing down except my homemade clutch is directly below the exhaust, ill get a close up pic tomorrow.
never saw a Tecumseh 2 stroke like that
Yeah, its a bit strange. I think it must be mostly cast iron as it weighs heaps. When I mentioned it to someone I know they said they had never heard of a Tecumseh 2-stroke.
Someone threw out this engine on an edger, and we happened to be going past as they put it out. Lucky find!

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
LOL! :roflol: I bet that would make your ears bleed after a while!

Why don't you make more of a U shape with the pipe and make it point backwards?

So are you using that pulley we see in the middle as the clutch?

modelengineer

Lord of the noise
Reaction score
Hey everyone, just found time to upload a video, its 10mb but thats as small as I could make it with the software I have (that i know how to use)

http://members.optusnet.com.au/barberandrew/KartVid2.avi

Kibble, I originally had the exhaust way longer so that it was above my head, but it wouldnt fit in the car so after shortening it... that's what's left. I would put an extra bit on it to go backward, but I really can't be bothered. It works, so I don't need to fix it. It's not all that loud with the race helmet on.

The pulley in the middle has 2 trampoline springs pulling it upwards, and the left pedal on the kart lowers it to release tension. It works really well, but it's pretty close to an "on-off" clutch but slipping is possible with practice.

modelengineer

Lord of the noise
Reaction score
Thanks Jerry, not my back yard though, wish it was. It's actually a model control line aeroplane flying field, and I was allowed (kinda) to go there ONCE to test it out before taking it to a family friends property. Going to make a track in the grass with the lawnmower and time myself, lol!

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
Looks quick! Some one had told me once to use an office chair as a seat but I wasn't too sure about it. That kart convinces me that it's a good idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.