2014 - Un-Mellow Yellow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim-L-L

Reaction score
I've decided to go in again for this year. So will be rebuilding this clapped out Tas mini bike I bought for $25 (then sold the front wheel for $50) The frame itself is OK, front forks are bent backwards and will need to be replaced, if I can salvage the spring set up I will otherwise it will be rigid. Power plant is a 49cc 2-Stroke that was in my son's go kart before it went electric. I am hopefully going to be using little 4" wheels from the front of a wrecked Kid's mini quad bike, I previously sold to a guy at work.

I don't have much time and no budget, but I am $25 ahead so far, I'm going to post my spending as I go. The reason for the lack of free time and money is that I have to get a 1969 Morris Mini Van done as a priority (and I swore I wouldn't take on an projects until it's done) Once the Mini is done I can sell my thirsty SUV and buy an old diesel 4wd and a diesel generator, I have access to enough waste Jet A1 turbine fuel to keep me running for a very long time. Also threw in a photo of last years build off (not complete by Sep :mad: ) which goes great, but is very heavy on the steering, I couldn't hold a pen for 3 days after the last bash in it :thumbsup:

Cheers Jim

Attachments

• DSCF2682.jpg
    DSCF2682.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCF2685.jpg
    DSCF2685.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF2687.jpg
    DSCF2687.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCF2683.jpg
    DSCF2683.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCF2684.jpg
    DSCF2684.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 32

Jim-L-L

Reaction score
Dismantled the forks and cut the bent tubes out of the brackets today, the forks are just made out of 15NB pipe, I have a bit in the shed to do one side but will need to make a stop by my local steel shop to pick up another 1/2 metre to do the other side, prepped the lower bracket for the new tube, still need to do upper and clean up the little tubes that hold the springs. I should be able to rebuild the bike with the original sprung front end
Cheers Jim

Attachments

• DSCF2688.jpg
    DSCF2688.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 10

Jim-L-L

Reaction score
Ok, after googling TAS mini bikes photos I did notice that bent forks did seem to be a common problem !
Anyway front forks now rebuilt, sandblasted everything first then made up a jig on sawbench to hold tubes in place out of some chip board (fire extinguisher on standby) total cost of repair $3 for 15NB pipe offcut (love the offcut bin) remaining budget +$22
Cheers JK

Attachments

• DSCF2690.jpg
    DSCF2690.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF2691.jpg
    DSCF2691.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCF2689.jpg
    DSCF2689.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF2692.jpg
    DSCF2692.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 13

Jim-L-L

Reaction score
Un-Mellow yellow has been canned

Guys, sorry but going to pull out of build off 2014 as I don't have time or money to complete it right now and I really have to stay focused on my 69 Mini resto (it's eating all my time & money) it might still get done one day but I really can't justify building a mini bike my fat *** barely fits (it makes my deckson mini look like a Harley) right now.
Regards Jim

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that :(

It'd be great to see that pile of parts come back to life.
But I know how you feel; especially the time part... :(

So.. mini rebuild log.. where is the update :D

'sid

Felineman

Death by misfortune
Reaction score
I vote to allow the mini into the contest. Having done automotive restoration I know personally the amount of effort it takes to do the job. And its small enough to be considered a kart. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.