Coleman GK200 CVT Slipping?

TLRMADE

Reaction score
Purchased a GK200 in November. Everything worked flawlessly for a few months. I have noticed that the gokart will get up to speed but feels like its stuck in low gear or something and wont ramp up anymore? It wont go as fast as it would when we first got it. It will go much faster like it used to if im going down hill or rock it forward with my body while driving it, feels like im helping something engage? Do i need a new CVT Clutch?

Thank you in advance!

Master Hack

Reaction score
3 for $20! Wadda deal! too bad they don't work. Blackhorse belts bad, Whitehorse g... no they bad too!
The comet belts are expensive, but that cuz of Denny's commission!
Sadly we pay the price OR change belts every 18 minutes (on average)
You are lucky that you got the warning, I did not. I think they enjoyed seeing me struggle along, changing belts every few minutes!
HA HA HA Verry funny!

Rat

Reaction score
3 for $20! Wadda deal! too bad they don't work. Blackhorse belts bad, Whitehorse g... no they bad too!
The comet belts are expensive, but that cuz of Denny's commission!
Sadly we pay the price OR change belts every 18 minutes (on average)
You are lucky that you got the warning, I did not. I think they enjoyed seeing me struggle along, changing belts every few minutes!
HA HA HA Verry funny!
I burnt up 2 blackhorse belts... well shredded really in less than an hour and used the 3rd to hobble home very carefully at low rpm hoping it would hold.
The stock belts most TC's ship with are somehow way better than a blackhorse anything...which isn't to be mistaken as a great thing because they're junk too obviously.

A&I belts are okay, but event they stretch to maximum tolerance pretty quickly and lead to the engine overreving without being able to shift the TC out

TLRMADE

Reaction score
Thank you for everyone's responses and help. With the new belt the problem still seems to be there. I did have the governor screw completely loosened, I have now "tightened" it a little and the problem seems to still be there but not as bad? Plenty fast for my 6yr old....but I do miss being able to do close to almost 40mph myself haha.

Next on the list.

Harnesses.....I need some more robust/ones that will adjust and stay tight for this thing! Any recommendations?

Also almost time for new tires. Ride mainly grass....don't really want to destroy my grass. Anything friendly?
Rear Tire Size 16/8-7

TLRMADE

Reaction score
Put the rear wheels up on a jack and run the engine while watching the cvt. Rev the engine. Do both halves move freely? You might have one or both sticking.
Yes this was the first thing I did. Works and moves perfectly. I also took them off an cleaned all of the dust from the inside as well.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
If you are not used to how a cvt functions while riding they can be kind of annoying. There is for lack of a better description a lag. You will hear the engine rev up before power is applied. Once you get used to it you don’t even notice it.

Reactions: Rat

Rat

Reaction score
Lag is the best way to put it, but the lag is generally followed by a drag.
Even with a Ducar 212 set for around 6k you can hear the rpm pull down after it getting up to speed but that's what they're designed to do...keep the rpm where the power is (3600-3800 on average for 196, 208, and 212 engines)

TLRMADE

Reaction score
If you are not used to how a cvt functions while riding they can be kind of annoying. There is for lack of a better description a lag. You will hear the engine rev up before power is applied. Once you get used to it you don’t even notice it.
Yes I understand the lag, but when the go kart was new, there was lag then it would get to top speed. This never goes through the lag process any more and then gets to top speed. It just feels like it wont shift from low to the lag and then top speed. It stays in low

Rat

Reaction score
Yes I understand the lag, but when the go kart was new, there was lag then it would get to top speed. This never goes through the lag process any more and then gets to top speed. It just feels like it wont shift from low to the lag and then top speed. It stays in low
That sounds normal in terms of the driven sheave spring aging out and losing its resistance strength. That said your options are pulling the ramp face and moving the spring one hole clockwise, or replace it outright with a new one.

Again, seems like normal wear and tear just like the spring for the drive spider on my Mule needed replaced from age and usage breakdown1000001940.jpg

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Also as the belt shieves wear in they will behave differently. Have you cleaned and serviced the clutches and relived them with graphite spray or powder?