Go Back   DIY Go Kart Forum > Building Plans And Advice > Go Kart Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 12:24 PM

Default New Go-Kart!

Hey Guys I Got A Go Kart But The engine it had was pretty bad so I put a 3hp Briggs engine on it and I bought a clutch, I was wondering if it could pull me and my bro together we weigh about 220 together and if it could how fast would the clutch burn out,?

I know you all like Pictures But It's Nothing Special It's and old faded 1 seated go cart with a rim sprocket? not the whole axle(live axle I think they call it?) and I think its monocot? well it says that on the bottom where you put your feet!
Thanks For Reading!
Old 04-06-2013, 12:25 PM

It Was Of A Rototiller!
Old 04-06-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinechnology View Post
Hey Guys I Got A Go Kart But The engine it had was pretty bad so I put a 3hp Briggs engine on it and I bought a clutch, I was wondering if it could pull me and my bro together we weigh about 220 together and if it could how fast would the clutch burn out,?

I know you all like Pictures But It's Nothing Special It's and old faded 1 seated go cart with a rim sprocket? not the whole axle(live axle I think they call it?) and I think its monocot? well it says that on the bottom where you put your feet!
Thanks For Reading!

It wont have a lot of torque but it should pull you guys around fine.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:35 PM

LOL Sorry I will put pictures then but don't make fun of me cause its little! but I mean how long will the clutch last? like today I had it started and the cluch made some weird noise and got, I guess "locked" and made the engine stop?
Old 04-06-2013, 07:44 PM

Thanked 1,902 Times in 1,588 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARGR4V3Z View Post
It wont have a lot of torque but it should pull you guys around fine.
I'm not sure I agree with you. My daughters kart runs a 3hp B&S, is geared to around 11:1 &, sometimes, we have to really stand on the throttle to get it moving, depending on the position it's in.

If you want it to carry that kind of weight, you'd need to gear it down which means you won't get a high top speed. Gearing for speed will definitely shorten the life of the clutch but, by how much is anyones guess...

2013 Build-off Winner http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21076
Old 04-06-2013, 07:47 PM

Thanked 2,074 Times in 1,639 Posts

The only way 3hp is going to haul that much weight around, is geared waaaay low. Unless you guys don't mind topping out at 5MPH, you'll want to consider a larger engine.
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
Old 04-06-2013, 10:33 PM

Thanks Guys !So Turns out I gets us going but it takes a couple of seconds to get at "High Speed". I Mean It WILL Pull Us But Now My Fear Is Burning the clutch lol Theyre a little Too Expensive! & I Have another Question, Have You Guys Experienced the Clutch making a Noise and kind of "Engaging" and making the engine turn off?
Old 04-07-2013, 08:28 AM

Thanked 2,074 Times in 1,639 Posts

The clutch problem you describe is a lack of lubrication. There is a bronze bushing in there that the outer drum rides on. It needs to be lubricated frequently (every couple hours of operation) with 1-2 drops of clean engine oil.

At this point, it may or may not be damaged. Take the clutch outer drum off and inspect the bushing. Wipe clean with a cloth but do not use a solvent. If it's not damaged, put 2 drops of engine oil in there and spread it with your (clean) finger. Reassemble and install. If it is damaged, purchase a replacement.

Do not over-oil. Excess oil can work it's way onto the clutch shoes. Contaminated with oil, they will not grab properly.
Wrench, Wheel, Wreck, Repeat...
The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Sprocket For This Useful Post:
Martinechnology (04-07-2013)
Old 04-07-2013, 02:33 PM

Thank you! I will get to that!
Closed Thread